dexos1 Gen 2 Jug at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was time to stock up on basics and I toddled down to WM to be rewarded with my first sighting of a dexos1 Gen 2 jug in the wild!
It was Valvoline Full Synthetic Max Life 5W30. I thought pretty hard about buying it, but I'm not enamored with the idea of using HM oil in my car just yet. I know it wouldn't hurt anything, just not seeing any oil usage or anything that would push me towards HM. Kudos to Valvoline for getting the dexos1 Gen 2 badge out there early, though.

Cool. My vehicles ll qualify for HM
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
It was time to stock up on basics and I toddled down to WM to be rewarded with my first sighting of a dexos1 Gen 2 jug in the wild!
It was Valvoline Full Synthetic Max Life 5W30. I thought pretty hard about buying it, but I'm not enamored with the idea of using HM oil in my car just yet. I know it wouldn't hurt anything, just not seeing any oil usage or anything that would push me towards HM. Kudos to Valvoline for getting the dexos1 Gen 2 badge out there early, though.

I wouldn't worry about the High Mileage word if it meets the specs.

Neither would I.

I stocked up on Maxlife blend when Valvoline had a big sale, and just used that up earlier this year.

Then I stocked up on Synpower 5w30 and have been using that in my fleet.

The walmart online price deals in combination with the valvoline rebates makes it a no brainer for me.

I'm always on the lookout too. Since its HM I'm assuming no dexos approval. Does the Dexos label look the same? Btw does the gen 2 stuff pass GM's lspi test ?

I expect the other brands will fill the shelves soon. This may be one reason why AAP has QSUD on clearance right now.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
I'm always on the lookout too. Since its HM I'm assuming no dexos approval. Does the Dexos label look the same? Btw does the gen 2 stuff pass GM's lspi test ?

The change to the label was subtle to my eyes, under the "dexos" text it says "APPROVED - GEN 2". There may be other changes and additions, but Gen 2's claim to fame is the addition of an LSPI test in a GM 2l DIT engine.
I took a photo of the Valvoline label with my phone, but it's pretty bad. You can see what the Gen 2 logo looks like here...
http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand2015/

Theoretically better for Turbo DI applications, let's hope the promise holds true for those who's platforms have suffered LSPI. A few mfr have lowered Ca across the board, Havoline comes to mind.

I went to another Walmart last night and saw Valvoline FS w/Maxlife non-HM 5W30 jugs with the dexos1 Gen 2 logo.
The Valvoline website was updated yesterday with a new PDS for FS Maxlife 0W20, 5W20, and 5W30 oils showing they are all Gen 2 licensed.
Valvoline is on top of this stuff!!

I went to another Walmart last night and saw Valvoline FS w/Maxlife non-HM 5W30 jugs with the dexos1 Gen 2 logo.
The Valvoline website was updated yesterday with a new PDS for FS Maxlife 0W20, 5W20, and 5W30 oils showing they are all Gen 2 licensed.

The only FSwithML I see is the High Mileage one. Is this a new oil?

Originally Posted By: PimTac

The only FSwithML I see is the High Mileage one. Is this a new oil?

You are right, only the HM oil is "Maxlife".
The regular FS does not say Maxlife on the label.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back