Google Drive Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triple_Se7en

$50 Site Donor 2024
My system is Windows 10 desktop and I got spoiled years ago having Norton Ghost as my storage backup. I was devastated when Norton discontinued Ghost, mainly because all the remaining backup software out there like my current WD Passport, which does not store Program files, Documents and Browser files like Norton Ghost once did.

Google Drive advertises itself as having the ability to store Program files, Documents and Browser files in Cloud. I would likely need the mid-tier plan (100GB for $19.99).

Anyone here with Google Drive? Are the claims true?
No, I am not interested in buying another external hard drive, or use a flash-drive for backups. Just currently interested in Cloud Services that also saves / backups programs, documents and Browsers So please, don't steer me / reply in any direction, other than something similar to Google Drive Cloud.

I have had Google's 100GB plan for a few years now. It is just a cloud drive and will store anything you stick on it. It's been reliable and fast. I have also used Amazon S3 and their cloud drive as well as Microsoft's OneDrive and Dropbox and they all work flawlessly as far as I am concerned. I only stick with Google because I can get an application to sync on Linux. Microsoft's OneDrive is actually a bit cheaper and gets you a license, as far as I am aware, for Office.

I often will create shortcuts from hard drive files into the locations that are set up to sync so that applications preference files, databases, etc. are synced without having to move the file from its original location.

Also be aware that these sync services are *NOT* backups: If you delete a file from any of the devices that are syncing the file is gone from the rest. A backup de-couples from the source. You can certainly make backups of files, store them in the cloud and set those files to NOT sync and they'll remain in cloud storage irrespective of the state of your local storage.

EDIT: Google also offers cloud storage with no sync client running continuously on your computer, sort of like Amazon S3. Amazon also offers a lower-priced tape-based storage for less money than S3.

I use the free version of google drive.

Store all my documents and photos on there, never had a problem.

I don't see the point in doing a snapshot on the whole OS, unless you are doing something very mission critical with custom apps that require configuration.

I can recover my windows 10 OS anytime in a matter of ten minutes with a usb 3 key, then restore most of my apps by reinstalling using NINITE.

I don't see the point in paying a cloud provider to restore microsoft software that you can get online yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back