Classic Shell Experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand this can partially emulate the Windows 7 or XP interface, partly avoiding the worst of Windows 10.

The only good thing I can find to say about Windows 10 is it is not Windows 8.

Any experience with this? If I install it I'll wait until after the next obligatory major windows "upgrade" which would probably break it.

Have it on top of Windows 8 and hate it, don't use it. Could be I haven't forced myself to understand it but cripes I have better things to do and I shouldn't have to mold myself for another company's arbitrary changes.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
I understand this can partially emulate the Windows 7 or XP interface, partly avoiding the worst of Windows 10.

The only good thing I can find to say about Windows 10 is it is not Windows 8.

Any experience with this? If I install it I'll wait until after the next obligatory major windows "upgrade" which would probably break it.

If you keep Windows auto-updated and keep Shell auto-updated, you won't break Classic Shell. I've had it for years (now Windows 10) and for being free, it works well.

You may spend an hour or-so tweaking the various settings inside Shell. But the same is expected using a subscription service option too.

Your tenacity to stick with 8 is admirable, but when 10 was a free upgrade, you should have jumped ship. For most folks, 10 is what 8 was supposed to be.
I've got them all. Still have an XP box running a network printer, 7, 8, 10 on various devices. 8 only works the way it's supposed to on my phone.
I've got a Win10 based music server. Love the sorting and convienience of all my tunes in one place and available, hate the MS intrusion into the operation of it. Everytime an update comes in, 10 will shut down the network connection to force the user to reboot.
I'm slowly moving everything to some type of Linux load. The stuff just works. Elementary is my latest favorite, with the look and feel of a Mac.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Have it on top of Windows 8 and hate it, don't use it. Could be I haven't forced myself to understand it but cripes I have better things to do and I shouldn't have to mold myself for another company's arbitrary changes.

Moulding yourself to another companies arbitrary changes is the Microsoft way. I thought/hoped Classic Shell was a way of avoiding some of that.

I have been using it on Windows 10 for over a year and love it. It it painful when I have to use a Windows 10 computer without it. I just can't get used to it, and love the Windows 7 interface (actually Win XP), but having the improved features of Windows 10.

I've been using W10 and once you disable Cortana and delete all the apps and tiles you don't want, it's pretty much W7. I like that I can pin things like this PC and control panel to the start menu and it's right there.

We have it on five windows 10 laptops and would be lost without it. No problems, no glitches, just good old familiarity with what I've been using for a long time. It works well for us. We don't need no stinking TILES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back