UOA REDLINE MT-90 50,551mi Toyota W-56 5sp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon BITOG Faithful!

I present to you a UOA from the transmission of my 1987 Toyota 4Runner's W-56 5 speed transmission. Oil was in use for approximately 5 years give or take and 50,551 miles. Notes to Blackstone concerning the anticipated high Calcium and Silicon are from the addition of a new short throw shifter base 2 years ago (used silicone RTV) and the color of the drained oil (redish hue) led me to suspect that there was some cross pollination from the transfer case which was filled with REDLINE heavyweight shockproof gear oil (red), knowing that the heavy shockproof contains a TON of calcium I warned them it might show up in the analysis. The trace of water is also likely from the transfer case as I previously had a water intrusion issue with the transfer case which has since been corrected but was not corrected before this fill on the transmission went in, so the cross pollination from the t-case likely brought a little water with it at some point.

No worries the wear metals look great here compared to universal averages and really good when you consider the transmission has 331,111 miles on it at the time of this sample. Transmission was refilled with MT-90 and I intend to run another 50,000 miles.

I always Laugh when they say it was a good time to change it after 50k miles but suggest 60k next time. Hahahaha. Shouldn't he stay with 50k? Gotta Love Blackstone

And goodness gracious man, with all that known contamination, why you didn't dump the oil for a fresh fill is beyond me. Hahaha

Originally Posted By: Artem
I always Laugh when they say it was a good time to change it after 50k miles but suggest 60k next time. Hahahaha. Shouldn't he stay with 50k? Gotta Love Blackstone

And goodness gracious man, with all that known contamination, why you didn't dump the oil for a fresh fill is beyond me. Hahaha

I wasn't aware that there was some mixing going on between the transmission and transfer case until I drained the oil and noted that it had a reddish hue. The two are separated by a seal so the thought never crossed my mind. The transfer case was the only component suffering from water ingestion due to a faulty shifter boot so I didn't suspect transmission contamination. Either way no harm no foul, I'm pleased with the numbers at nearly 3x the miles of the universal averages baseline.

Of note and not included in my original post, the mixing of the Heavyweight Shockproof into the transmission fluid is likely what caused the viscosity to read slightly high for this sample.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The MT 90 seem to do a great job in the trans!

I'm always pleased with how well MT-90 works in GL-4 manual transmissions. No disappointments here. I'll check back in another 50,000 miles. But as of right now the transmission shifts exceptionally and is nice and quiet. No reason to suspect anything is amiss at 331,111 miles.

Gotta love RL tranny fluids
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Gotta love RL tranny fluids
smile.gif

In my (limited) experience I've had absolutely fantastic luck with Redline transmission fluids. My 68 Chevelle TH-400 has survived unmentionable abuse with a 4800 stall converter on the street and track with Redline ATF and my Manual Transmission equipped vehicles always do very well on MT-90 or MTF depending on the application.

Their engine oils are very spendy so I haven't used them since I had my Tacoma with a supercharger, but they served me very well in that application as well. Very low wear out to 12,000 mile OCI on an engine with a roots supercharger and 7 psi of boost.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Yeah - this looks cooler than purple too:

That's quite the contraption there! Is that for filling a Ford PTU?

It will be for that soon - tied into a Fumoto valve. The syringe can "push or pull" only 6 ounces - but is fast and exact. Have done power steering fluid and the Redline in picture went in the Canyon transfer case.

It must have been contaminated by a seal failure as I have never seen moly in an MTF.

In fact, moly competes with the MTF's friction modifier.

Yeah, the only VOAs I've seen of MT-90 or MTL shown no moly (or perhaps 1 ppm of incidental contaminant or lab error).

Just filled my Toyota pickup manual five speed trans with MT-90. Trans definitely shifts better first thing in the morning. After the trans warms up, can't tell a difference between the MT-90, and Sta-Lube 85w-90 GL-4 that I was using.

Thought the MT-90 was going to smell like, you know, gear oil, but it had a smell that my nose has never come across.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back