Help me choose between these at the same price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without super long and detailed info, in layman's terms, what is the best choice out of these oils? All costing the same. My requirements are the best oil of the group in a High Milage , 5w20, that will be good for a minimum of 8,000 miles between oil changes. I basically want what everyone else wants. The best oil, best protection, best performance at this price range. I know it doesn't make a huge difference, but I own this vehicle and want the engine to last as long as possible whole being leak free, noise free, and piece of mind.

M1 HM, PP HM, CE HM, VAL Syn HM

IMG_20170902_212926371.jpg

Thanks for your input!

What vehicle application?

While those four are priced somewhat close to each other at Walmart, CEHM is probably the costliest. M1 and PP I think are priced similar. Being comparable I'd select the one on roll back or on sale or simply the cheapest.

Right now they are all the same with the exception of the Castrol. I'd like to chose one and stick with it.

It's the '11 Ram 1500 5.7l Hemi, and I live in Michigan. Odo is ~103k at the moment. The oil change reminder usually kicks in around 8000 miles. I have a stock of Fram Ultra as well as Purolator Boss filters that I've been using.

I would try Mobil AFE 0w-30 It is an impressive oil that shouldn't be impressive.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I would try Mobil AFE 0w-30 It is an impressive oil that shouldn't be impressive.

It's impressive even though it shouldn't be??

The engine calls for 5w20, yet I've run 0w20 through a lot of it's life also. Mainly in the winter.

Whatever it get, your engine will likely last well past 250k with proper car.

Just stick with one and keep at it.

Mate they are all good quality, name brand, full synthetic, ILSAC oils. It will not make a fig of difference which one you select, they are all excellent and I like them all.

However if you want me to get off the fence, then today I like Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic, in 5W20 it has a Noack of 9.3% and I like my volatility below 10%.
(FS-MaxLife-PDF)

I had an '08 Ram with the infamous "Hemi tick."

Valvoline SynPower made to tick go away, or at least reduced to point it couldn't be heard over the headers and dual exhaust combo.

I ran Mopar, Mobil 1, and SynPower, and the engine ran smoothest on Valvoline. YMMV.

I had been running Amsoil SS 0w20 in the past and all I had to pay for was the filter, and that oil seemed to work very well in the Ram. Since then I've been using regular M1 as well as reg Castrol Edge. It may be phsycological, but it seems like the "Hemi Tick" and/or overall engine noise is a little more noticeable with the M1. Now that I have over 100k on the engine, I was looking at a HM version to use and hopefully stick with, but. Don't really know how they all compared. I've used regular MaxLife in the past in other vehicles and it always seems to have a good reputation in the BITOG community, but I want to keep it a full syn in this truck. I've always thought of the Valvoline full syn oils to be inferior to some of the other full syns on the market, and that's why I was hesitant withe the Val Syn HM. I don't know if there is any truth to that or if it has just been something I remember from the past regarding SynPower or whatever Val calls their FS oil the days.

I don't see anything on Valvoline's website that recommends a drain interval. Is the FSHM good for 10-15k like the other brands? The engine calls for 5w20. As I mentioned, I've ran both 5w20 as well as 0w20 in the. The FSHM 0w20 actually has a slightly higher vis at 100°, which seems good, and a higher vis index, so I think that may be the better choice?

Lastly, I usually add a can of LM MoS2 to the oil for pom. It says a 300ml can is good for 5l (5.28qts). This engine required 7qts of oil. Obviously the Mos2 will increase the count in a 7qt sump, but should I be adding a can plus another 114ml , or about a total of 1.5 cans of MoS2 to cover the 7qts?

Last edited:
Last but not least, it has been awhile since I've been active on here. The Pennzoil Platinum was all the rage around the last time I had been following. Now it says it has some Pureplus technology that create base stocks from natural gas. Is this a good thing? Bad thing? Gimmick? Or a non-factor? It just sounds strange to me.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Last but not least, it has been awhile since I've been active on here. The Pennzoil Platinum was all the rage around the last time I had been following. Now it says it has some Pureplus technology that create base stocks from natural gas. Is this a good thing? Bad thing? Gimmick? Or a non-factor? It just sounds strange to me.

It's a good oil, many satisfied users here.

Pennzoil Platinum made on natural gas (GTL or PurePlus) is an excellent and well respected oil.

For the MoS2 you don't need it with a good oil, but if you want it - no problem, one can per oil change will be ample.

Another way to make a decision is look at the 100C viscosity listed for all the oils you are interested in. Do you prefer a thicker or thinner 20 grade? Then select based on viscosity.

I haven't looked up the products you listed, but as a rough rule of thumb, PP is usually at the thin end of the range while Castrol is often at the thick end of the viscosity range. But most HM oils tend to be thicker.

What about a thin, non-HM, oil like PP 5W30 ? Last time I looked it was sitting just the other side or the viscosity fence. From memory a KV100 of 9.3 cSt is the 20 / 30 grade border.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Don't use Photobucket. You can upload your photos directly to BITOG.

How do you do that? What can we do with the photos that are presently in PB??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SR5
Mate they are all good quality, name brand, full synthetic, ILSAC oils. It will not make a fig of difference which one you select, they are all excellent and I like them all.

However if you want me to get off the fence, then today I like Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic, in 5W20 it has a Noack of 9.3% and I like my volatility below 10%.
(FS-MaxLife-PDF)

I agree.

Honestly, I think it's probably is more important to simply pick a brand of oil that's readily available at all times and simply stick with it for the life of the vehicle with a view to not changing away from it.
It's less problematic overall.
It's possible to buy it in advance on special and have it in stock when needed.
And you don't have to think about what to buy next.

Originally Posted By: SR5

What about a thin, non-HM, oil like PP 5W30 ? Last time I looked it was sitting just the other side or the viscosity fence. From memory a KV100 of 9.3 cSt is the 20 / 30 grade border.

I haven't even looked at it. I've just always gone off the manual that says use 5w20 or there could be issues with the MDS system? As far as I know, my engine is mechanically sound. It doesn't have any leaks or anything. I just thought I'd go to a HM option now that I'm over 100k because I hope there is a reason they offer a HM oil other than marketing? But I don't know. If I can be proactive and use a product that could prevent leaks or future problems of a hm engine, I'd like to do that? I tend to be proactive with maintenance instead of waiting for things to break.

Hi Johnny,

You won’t regret making the switch to Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage Full Synthetic Motor Oil. Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage keeps pistons up to 20% cleaner than the toughest industry standards to help keep your engine running smooth and performing strong.

We also noticed that a few folks on this thread mentioned convenience is a big factor in choosing a motor oil. For your convenience, we’ve got a tool to help you find a retailer near you. Please visit: http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/oil-change-retail-locations.html#iframe=Lz9sb2NhbGU9ZW5fVVM=. You can also have your local auto retailer request Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage from their regional Pennzoil distributor. Hope this info helps!

I just did an oil change on the Subie. Picked up some PP HM cheap at Walmart along with an ST9688 OF. My car doesn't leak anything, but has over 150k so I figured why not try out some HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back