Alternative to amsoil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I normally use an amsoil EAO64 with my oil changes. Well they're getting harder to find since my local Napa is under new ownership and no longer works with Amsoil as a distributor. I ended up getting another filter - one of the K&N wrench off things. I'm pretty disappointed with the performance. My car has a nasty clatter on start up if it's been sitting more than 24h with this one. Best I can figure is the ADBV isn't up to par as the filter was the only variable changed in my normal OCI. I want to change it out to a different one.

Any other parts that would interchange with the EAO64? I liked the amsoil units on account of the synthetic media that filters down to something like 7 microns, high flow rate, and it's ability to keep oil where it should be even after sitting for a week. But like I mentioned, they're getting difficult to get a hold of for me

Amsoil is a phone call away and delivered to your door. Look up Pablo.

You mean there's a such thing as a BITOGER who doesn't keep a few filters on hand for stock?

I'm an Amsoil user and I order filters by the case. When I'm down to only one box of filters, I order more.

That used to be me, but then I realized the average idiot doesn't pay attention to maintenance records, so I started buying them by the case also.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
You mean there's a such thing as a BITOGER who doesn't keep a few filters on hand for stock?

I'm an Amsoil user and I order filters by the case. When I'm down to only one box of filters, I order more.

Heh. That's tempting but I live in a college dorm. I do my oil changes with the front end driven up on a curb, pair of milk jugs, and a funnel
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Start getting the WIX XP. It has white pleats like the Amsoil.

God bless wix's site for letting me look up by dimension. I think I found my guy, thanks!

According to posts on this site, the wix xp does not have near the filtering efficiency of the amsoil

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter

Heh. That's tempting but I live in a college dorm. I do my oil changes with the front end driven up on a curb, pair of milk jugs, and a funnel
grin.gif

More power to ya! I have a garage, but I also travel for work, sometimes for weeks...I have changed oil in Walmart parking lots and parts store parking lots. I carry a floor jack, jackstands, wheel chocks, paper coveralls, wrenches, filters, oil & drain pan, waterless hand cleaner, etc. It's kind of handy to drain the oil, pour it into a gallon jug and simply walk into a parts store and immediately get rid of it.

Changed oil in Sheboygan WI, Tulsa OK, Chicago IL, New Orleans LA and a few places I can't remember. I always go to the far corner of the parking lot. No one has ever challenged me, but several kind folks have asked me if I need help. I always thank them graciously. I have even changed oil in a rest/truck stop on the side of the highway...Worst place I can remember was under a highway overpass in a snowstorm. (I had insulated coveralls and appropriate clothing). No one stopped. Where there is a will there is a way. Good for you taking care of your car.

Originally Posted By: Iowegian
Royal Purple makes the Amsoil filters.
They are identical accept for the color.

I know they(amsoil) switched away from wix as a manufacturer. Who makes them now?

Originally Posted By: E150GT

According to posts on this site, the wix xp does not have near the filtering efficiency of the amsoil

Do you have a link? My searches aren't turning up anything and I'd like to read more

.Worst place I can remember was under a highway overpass in a snowstorm. (I had insulated coveralls and appropriate clothing). No one stopped. Where there is a will there is a way. Good for you taking care of your car.

When you're at your OCI and you need to change your oil NOW

Last edited:

This is incorrect. When I last checked, both Amsoil and Royal Purple filters were made by Champion Labs, who also makes the Mobil 1 line of filters. The media for M1 and Amsoil filters is slightly different, but similar. According to my contact at Champ Labs, they make far larger quantity Amsoil filters than Royal Purple filters.

I agree with Iowegian about the Royal Purple. But, I believe they are rated at 25 microns vs 20 microns with Ultra. I could be wrong going from memory....good hunting sir!

cheers,

GREAT THREAD
a) To avoid parking lot changes I will gladly change my oil ahead of time. I almost always have use for OK used oil for topping off my non-BITOGer friends. I know that's contradictory.

b) If only Baldwin filters were available without the online/mail order hassle..... RockAuto hear my prayer.

Neither Royal Purple or AMSOIL make filters. Both have their filters manufactured by Champion Labs, with Donaldson being the source of the synthetic glass media that AMSOIL uses, no idea on who makes RP's media, it may be sourced directly from Champion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back