Full Syn High Mileage oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently bought a 2002 GMC Sierra and knew nothing about what kind of oil was used in the truck. I know the oil was changed every 4-5K, so I am guessing its Dino, especially since its a prior work truck. I did one recent oil change with Super Tech High Mileage since I didnt know the condition of the seals, but decided to change to full syn HM, probably Mobil 1 or Valvoline. My wife drives the truck short distances, and I warm it up when I can, but figured the full syn would be better for her stop and go and short distances.

My question I guess is that I should not have issues making that switch right? I imagine the truck is new enough, and syn oil is advanced enough to not cause issues.

Also, suggestions on what oil to get and what filter to go with it? I figure I cant run Super Tech filters on full syn oil.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
What oci do you intend to run?

I am not sure, probably 5K for the first two or three times like suggested, and then after 10K or 6 months. I will surly reach 6 months before 10K, my wife drives it that little.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Supertech high mileage is fine for 5k OCI.
How recently did you purchase this vehicle?
I'd be worried it was caught in all the flooding.

Not to worry I bought it about a month ago in Virginia, right before I got out of the Navy and moved back to Houston. It is perfectly safe from the water.

Go to Advance Auto (if they're in Texas) and buy Mobil 1 HM and a Mobil 1 filter for $30, then send in for a $15 rebate...

Go Navy !!!

I was just looking at a UOA (used oil analysis) of Super Tech synthetic after 10,000 miles and it did very well.

Short tripping, on top of stretching out the oil change interval, can be a disaster in this engine. Don't ask me how I know.

If your wife will be driving it that little, change it *at least* every 6 months. Not any longer at all. Going with a cheaper oil and changing it every 4 months is a better plan.

It's not so much on what oil you use, but how often you change it.

I like the M1 high mileage or the Pennzoil Platinum hm oils. Both reasonable by the jug at Walmart.

Mobil1 and Valvoline are both very good. I have Maxlife Full Synthetic in my Honda, but Mobil1 has the better rebate right now.

If you are going to change every 4-5k, I would probably recommend Maxlife synthetic blend in 5w30, 10w30, or 10w40. For 10k miles, I would lean towards Mobil1 since they actually back their oil for 10k/1year ( Mobil1 Warranty )

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Short tripping, on top of stretching out the oil change interval, can be a disaster in this engine. Don't ask me how I know.

If your wife will be driving it that little, change it *at least* every 6 months. Not any longer at all. Going with a cheaper oil and changing it every 4 months is a better plan.

I am asking you how you know?
And also why you shouldn't speed through Gauley Bridge?

We ran about 10 of these trucks at work, typically 7500 miles with NAPA 5w30 syn (most of the time) and a Wix or Baldwin filter. They ran them hard with tons of idle time on most, never had an analysis come back bad.

Hmmm I might just stick with the regular High Mileage, Supertech or otherwise, and just change it more frequently.

Maxlife 5w-30 synblend

That interval isn't long enough to justify full syn. has dexos1 approval

Well I only said 5K for the first few times since that is what some companies recommend, I think it was Mobil 1 that suggested it. After that it would just be every six months since my wife would never go 8-15K in that period of time. I just have always heard that full syn is better for anti-wear/corrosion and better protection when you do a lot of short range driving.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

You said dont ask, but I gotta ask, how do you know that
smile.gif
I love hearing these stories. Love learning from others.

Google dexos1

It's a specification by GM and it is very stringent. But it is limited to thin oils because part of the spec is fuel economy.

Short tripping leads to acid build up in oil, sludge and varnish formation, and increased wear

Last edited:
Google dexos1

It's a specification by GM and it is very stringent. But it is limited to thin oils because part of the spec is fuel economy.

Short tripping leads to acid build up in oil, sludge and varnish formation, and increased wear

Right I have read that about short tripping, unfortunately thats unavoidable, so what is better. Changing cheaper HM oil more frequently or changing full syn HM every 6 months? I know that a lot of full syns have anti-corrosion and anti-wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back