VWB SAE 30 3720mi 1987 4Runner @ 331,111 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil is still in service in my 4Runner as I type this. Since I was mailing off a transmission fluid sample I decided to check in on how the SAE 30 was doing. The comments about silicon suspicions were due to me letting Blackstone know that during this oil the valve cover was off for a gasket replacement which included the use of silicone sealant on the end plugs. I'm a little disappointed that both the VWB and PYB SAE 30 add packs are kinda boring and weak, typical SN add packs, I was honestly hoping for something better.

Iron has been higher than I'd like in the last several samples and on my next oil change I'll be either using Delo 15w30 SD or Rotella 10w30 CJ-4/SM to see if the better add pack brings down the Iron some. If not than I'll just assume that the higher iron is a result of lots of idling and 95% in town driving and short trips that this truck sees.

No makeup oil was added and I'll dump this fill somewhere between a few weeks and a few months depending on time, somewhere between now and 5,000 miles on the fill. The truck is still running very well and the engine still hasn't been rebuilt at 331,111 miles.

Enjoy.

Does look as if iron is rising a bit.

What's the engine oil brand history? Used VWB all along or has it been a mix?

(apology if you've noted this somewhere else I haven't seen it)

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Does look as if iron is rising a bit.

What's the engine oil brand history? Used VWB all along or has it been a mix?

(apology if you've noted this somewhere else I haven't seen it)

Oil changes lest to right are..

Current sample SAE 30 VWB

BLEND: 2 quarts Valvoline 10w40 Motorcycle 2 quarts Napa Synthetic 0w20 (blended and shaken in LiquiMoly jug to get some of the moly that had settled out on the bottom of the jug)

BLEND: 2 quarts Valvoline 10w40 MaxLife 1 qt Valvoline Durablend 2 quarts Napa Synthetic 0w20 (blended and shaken in LiquiMoly jug to get some of the moly that had settled out on the bottom of the jug)

LiquiMoly 10w40 MOS2 (the pre blended MOS2 enhanced oil)

SuperTech conventional 5w30 (Warren blended)

Delvac 1300 15w40

Also, apparently this is my 1,000th post. Woo hoo!

Last edited:
Looks okay.
Unless you see a huge spike, there is no real difference.
Remember, we're looking at PPM with measurement less exact than what we might like to think.
A few PPM in a commercial UOA is nothing of any significance.

Originally Posted By: car51
how bout trying some DELO 10w30 or some ST 15w40?

I'm thinking that my Rotella 10w30 CJ-4/SM will go in next. Either that or Delo 15w30 SD since those are already both purchased and here at the house.

I could also use some Napa All Fleet 15w40 if I wanted to try another SAE 40. But I'm inclined to stick with 30 for now.

Too bad you don't have Rural King as I nabbed 3 gallons of 15w40 for the VW RABBIT diesel hatchback for $9~ gallon
smile.gif

I'm no Rotella fan so I'll stick with my DELO 10w30 CJ4/SM

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Iron is high due to slow pumpability and metal on metal cold starts (ducks).

In Florida ?

Seriously...where's the bearing metals?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Iron is high due to slow pumpability and metal on metal cold starts (ducks).

Not likely. Iron has been trending up for the past few oil changes. My Lexus over the same interval didn't show elevated iron. We'll see how it does with HDEO next time.

Trend analysis is difficult with using so many different oils. I'm going to try a few runs with HDEO next and see if the iron comes down or not. I'm not concerned enough to tear into the engine by any means. Oil pressure is excellent and the camshaft looked spectacular when I adjusted the valves about 3,000 miles ago. I don't have any worry that something is terribly wrong but I'd like to get back to single digit iron numbers over ~3000 miles or around 10ppm @ 5,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back