Fram XG-8712 / Volvo V70XC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are a couple of images from today's oil change. The $5 used OEM Mahle filter is on the left, and the new $19 Fram XG-8712 is on the right. The Mahle has about 8000 miles on it and still looks good. The advertised efficiencies are 94% at 30 microns for the Mahle and 99% at 20 microns for the Fram. It goes without saying that the OEM filter was adequate for normal OCIs, since the vehicle is now 16 years old with 215K miles. It should probably be noted that the oil had been unintentionally swapped out about 500 miles earlier due to a blown main cam seal. The oil was four quarts low once I had a chance to stop, and another 3 quarts low when I arrived at a shop only 14 miles later.

Filters_Top.jpg

Filters_Side.jpg

Last edited:
The Fram looks nice, but I have a 01 and 02 V70 2.4t and a case of Mahle filters is convenient. Maybe I'll try a Fram someday.

Good looking filters, both of them. I sure like the Fram ultra's in all their forms.

$19 for that?
crazy2.gif
And they go for $27 at Walmart! I think the Wix XP might cost a bit less, if a super long OCI is your goal.

What is your intended OCI with the Ultra? Because if I'm paying $20 for a filter, I'd be tempted to use it the 15k they rate it for
banana2.gif

But with that Volvo, I'd stick to Mahle and Mann. Especially for normal OCI's like 10k and under.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

What is your intended OCI with the Ultra? Because if I'm paying $20 for a filter, I'd be tempted to use it the 15k they rate it for
banana2.gif

It is 20,000 miles now.

Not a fan of the price as well as their "end cap separating from media" reputation on ultra cartridges. I haven't seen any of this model posted here, but euro ultra cartridges seem to do that for whatever reason.

I prefer Mahle filters from Rock Auto but I do have a Mann for next time.

What caused your cam seal to blow? How was your PCV system? What kind of oil are you running?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
What caused your cam seal to blow? How was your PCV system? What kind of oil are you running?

Actually the PCV system had been serviced last summer (2016) so I don't think that was the cause. Unfortunately the timing belt was also replaced at 211K, but they didn't bother to replace any seals while they were that far into it.

As for oil, I started running Mobil 1 0w40 in January 2016 with 194K on the clock. This was mainly to provide a little bit of safety margin while towing. Prior to that I had been running Mobil 1 High Mileage starting at 181K, originally 10w30 and later 5w30. Before that it had been mostly Mobil 1 10w30 and 5w30, with two winters on 0w30 back when this was the wife's main vehicle. My records go back to 45K with 5K OCI being the norm. The 0w40 runs have been on the order of 8K miles with good looking UOAs. I plan to go 12 months or 15K on this oil, hence the desire for a better filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back