Mobil EP 5W-30, strange riding experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Honda PCX scooter, with Mobil fs 0w-40, smooth as silk.

I changed to EP 5-30, rough, very discernable rough.

Is it normal? the scooter recommends 10W-30.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Give it time. My car usually is a bit louder right after an oil change but 1000-2000 kms in it quiets down.

I remember having a similar issue in couple of my Corollas. But then I discovered 0w30/0w40 oils. Never had an issue again
banana2.gif
happy2.gif
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
The Mobil 0W-40 is a far superior oil to the EP.

In what way? Different for different engines, but superior? I don't think so.

Originally Posted By: tig1

I would have to agree with CT8 that, all things equal, the 0w-40 is a superior lube. This is due to the higher level of AW additives allowed by both the grade and the fact that it is a Euro oil, as well as the more difficult to obtain Euro approvals.

Now, does that mean it is offers a tangible benefit in the OP's application? Probably not. But it is possible the different chemistry and blend characteristics have resulted in different acoustics.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I would have to agree with CT8 that, all things equal, the 0w-40 is a superior lube. This is due to the higher level of AW additives allowed by both the grade and the fact that it is a Euro oil, as well as the more difficult to obtain Euro approvals.

Now, does that mean it is offers a tangible benefit in the OP's application? Probably not. But it is possible the different chemistry and blend characteristics have resulted in different acoustics.

Bingo
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: FZ1
It wants a 10w oil
P.S. It's a Scooter. It needs thicker low end 10w-20w. That's the problem.

It wants a 10w oil
P.S. It's a Scooter. It needs thicker low end 10w-20w. That's the problem.

What?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

What I mean is if an engine calls for 0-20EP, then 0-40 may give inferior results to the 0-20EP. Same with an engine calling for 0-40. If you use 0-20EP you may have an inferior result with 0-20EP. It's not apples to apples.

"Acoustics" on my eBoost to date: (lowest Db on top)

M1 Formula M 5w40
M1 EP 5w30
PUP 5w30
M1 5w30

So the 40 has been the lowest noise ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back