Waypoints Possible w/ Google Maps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to create big local loop routes to ride where departure location is my home and ultimate destination is arriving back at home few hours later. For days when I just want to ride without stops and follow a pre-planned route of curvy roads within about a hundred mile radius of home, and use Google Maps navigation on my android phone bluetoothed into my helmet headset for turn-by-turn audio.

Google maps doesn't seem to make this easy, it seems to be setup pretty much for a firm destination at the other end mainly point to point where both points are unique.

Seems what I am after is ability to set waypoints. Impossible?

Google limits your waypoints on any given route to 10. So, if your meandering travels require more than that, you need to break the trip into more than one leg.
frown.gif

Furthermore, if you develop the route on a home computer and click "SEND TO YOUR PHONE", only the Start and Finish are sent. The phone will then follow it's own routing which will surely be more direct than what you want (since you are already at home...
whistle.gif
) You would need to SHARE the route onto an email account in your phone, then click the link and follow THAT.

Since you use the term Waypoint, you might have a Garmin GPS that supports Routes. I just use Google to create my routes, then manually transfer them to MapSource or Basecamp which will transfer them to the GPS.

Originally Posted By: Carbuff
Since you use the term Waypoint, you might have a Garmin GPS that supports Routes. I just use Google to create my routes, then manually transfer them to MapSource or Basecamp which will transfer them to the GPS.

I agree.

You will need to find a better platform than Google Maps.

Have you heard of this App called SCENIC ?

https://appsmirror.com/app-review/scenic-app-perfect-for-route-planning-and-navigation

Carbuff, yep I just got done experiencing exactly what you said. I'd created a 100 mile loopback route from and back to my house, decent two laners with decent curves and some neglible hills/grades. Did it on Google Maps on laptop, multiple stops and told it to avoid highways, toll ways etc. Opted to Send to my Phone and also to text to my phone. When I pulled it up on my phone, it *looked* like the same route I'd done on laptop. BUT. When I set out on the ride (break-in ride for the bike in my sig) with the phone bluetoothed to my in-helmet headset, that dam wench that was calling out the turn-by-turn pretty much must have made up her own routing and was directing me from the get-go to the nearest four lane highway. From thence on it was a cluster-F***. The route was not too complex and I had it in my head from planning it so I just rode it from memory. Eventually pulled off and shut down the nav feature, as it had become rather comical telling me to turn on some ridiculous minor side roads trying with all it's heart to get me back towards the nearest four laner.

ArticDriver, I'm going to check that out. Something that works offline would be good since that would save some data flow and also cover if no service (I have Sprint...)

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Originally Posted By: Carbuff

I agree.

You will need to find a better platform than Google Maps.

Have you heard of this App called SCENIC ?

https://appsmirror.com/app-review/scenic-app-perfect-for-route-planning-and-navigation

Doh !!! App's only for iPhone . . .
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back