I Applied At A Havoline Express Lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck Red! I like Havoline. Still want to stop by O'Reillys to see if they have some on clearance. $7 for a jug of synthetic. Last time I checked they had six jugs of 5w30 and six jugs of 10w30.

Not sure what position you've applied for or hope to get but being a member and reading bitog, imo you'll be one of, if not the most qualified employee there. Good Luck.

Absolutely...this is where some adult ed comes in to play. Communicate clearly and use as few words as you can.
Were they to ask you to travel to manage or work in a different location, would you? could you?

Best of luck.

Good luck!
Kira has good advice. It's called economy of words. Sounds crude, but less talk, more positive attitude and work makes for a great employee.
You may have to actually use a 10w30 though, or heaven forbid, an 0w20!

But I bet you recognize this straight away...

As much as I like straight 30, I can live with whatever. I'm slowly selling off my oil stash, so it isn't unlikely my next fill might be a 10W-40. We'll see.

On the surface it seems like a pretty straightforward job: change oil and don't screw it up. You will quickly learn there are sales quotas to be met and they are not designed with the car manufacturers' intervals in mind.

Originally Posted By: Red91
Elaborate please. I'm sure I get it, but a little detail is appreciated. I'm not a salesman.

Most of the time at these quick change places you sell extra services. The national chain I worked had quotas with incentives (make more money and keeping your job). For example $100 per car average bill. If people come in for a $50 oil change, you have to on average sell them $50 more worth of stuff. If you service 10 cars you are expected to generate $1000 revenue. Cars keep coming in with 100k mile transmission service intervals and lifetime differential fluid? Too bad, show them the old vs new fluid and explain to them they need it now at 40k miles. 30k mile air filter and cabin filter? Pull them out at 15k and tell them they need it because look at how dirty they are. Car manufacturer recommends 5k, 6k, 10k OCI? Print them out a sticker for 3k and when they go over it recommend an engine flush to get rid of the sludge. Etc etc.

This was not a hole in the wall little place I was working at. This was a national chain in Canada that advertises during pro sporting events. This for them was standard operating prodcedure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: silverrat
On the surface it seems like a pretty straightforward job: change oil and don't screw it up. You will quickly learn there are sales quotas to be met and they are not designed with the car manufacturers' intervals in mind.

^^ this.
red -- I'm guessing that silver means that the oem oci's will seldom coincide with the standard 3 mo./3k mile oci's that the fast lube places preach.

you will likely know more than your boss, and customers about lubes/oci's. keep your mouth closed, unless your opinion is asked. giving unwanted advice will be viewed as a threat by your boss, and you won't be working there long.eyes and ears open, and mouth closed.
good luck.

Hold yourself to the highest standard and don't just mark time. Even if the organization is effed up, don't lower your personal standards. Show up, be congenial, be on time, don't repeat things people tell you.

That's your name [or employee #] and reputation on that invoice and you will take that name anywhere you work. You'll be gold. And have more hours than you can handle when others quit or fail to show up.

Best to ya Red91. You'll be an asset.

Originally Posted By: Red91
Elaborate please. I'm sure I get it, but a little detail is appreciated. I'm not a salesman.

I started as a tech that didn't know one end of the wrench from the other. Gradually I was made a as't manager and that was as far as I wanted to be. In the pits draining the oil you won't interact with customers much AFAIK. If you gradually become a supervisor then you will be up-top and clean, and you will make recommendations to customers for up-sales (i.e. showing a dirty air filter to a young woman in the waiting room). Punch in info from a computer (I'm assuming) and get OEM interval recommendations. And of course learn to cash people out. The truth is that there are enough [people ignoring all but the most basic maintenance that you can make reasonable quotas just by following manufacturer recommendations that 90% of people are completely ignorant of...

Havoline is a great product. Good luck...

I really just want to be in the pit most of the day. I'm not a social person, but I can communicate as needed for work. My plan is to just do my job and not worry about the rest. If they want me changing other fluids and filters at unneeded intervals, so be it.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Not sure what position you've applied for or hope to get but being a member and reading bitog, imo you'll be one of, if not the most qualified employee there. Good Luck.

That won't matter! He will do the job the way they want... that knowledge is for your Inside voice.
smile.gif

Good luck, man! I hope you get hired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back