Math question...27 trillions gallons =?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The water would fill the shape of its container. In this example, it would be gallons cubed.

It would also full 27 million Olympic size swimming pools.

Here would be all the rainfall from Harvey in one giant water drop.

Artboard_10_2x_80.1503960078.jpg

I lived in Katy right off of the Fry Road turn off on the Katy Freeway, through several floods and the problem is that the water does not drain well and blocks access to the Katy Freeway (10). It's easy to get isolated. Same with the wildlife. In 1980 Hurricane Allen hit Corpus Christy Beach. The rain in Katy isolated us for just a few days and we were stuck, no way out without a boat. Hurricane Harvey was much worse in the west of Huston where Katy is located because it was almost a direct hit.

One of my neighbors from Katy is coming with his family to live with us until they can sort out what they're going to do. What the flooding didn't take the looters got. They backed up a pickup into his garage door and took everything, appliances, tool box, dirt bikes, the lot. Inside his home looked like a bomb went off, everything was thrown all over except for the stuff they took. The news is not covering the realities of the looting. There are shots being fired and 3 people in and around Katy have been shot and there's been a lot of dog bites. Anticipating looters is why a lot of people did not evacuate.

Since EVERY resource is allocated one has to conclude that some law enforcement is dedicated to rescue, some should have been peeled off to shoot looters.

They said all my life, "Looters get shot". Only when it's easy to do I suppose.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Since EVERY resource is allocated one has to conclude that some law enforcement is dedicated to rescue, some should have been peeled off to shoot looters.

They said all my life, "Looters get shot". Only when it's easy to do I suppose.

That doesn't happen anymore. Ferguson, Missouri changed the world forever, and not in a positive way.

Whatever 3 trillion gallon size water cubes measures lengthwise is. A cubic gallon measures about 6.14 inches on a side. So the 27 trillion water cube would have to approximately be 1.5 trillion feet per side. Maybe I did it wrong, or that 27 trillion gallon number isn't right.
As for looting, it is very bad, terrible. Taking law into one's own hands and killing someone for stealing is far worse of a crime than looting. Maybe it is just an emotional response to say shoot looters.

Originally Posted By: plaguef
Here would be all the rainfall from Harvey in one giant water drop.

Artboard_10_2x_80.1503960078.jpg

Now people know why the city's storm drainage system didn't work.
smile.gif

One cubic foot of water is 7.5 gallons. 27 trillion gallons is 3.6 trillion (3.6E12) cubic feet. The volume of a cube is the length of a side to the third power, meaning the length of a side is the volume to the 1/3 power (aka the cube root). So the size of the cube the OP asked for is 15,326 feet or 2.9 miles.

This volume would fill a sphere of diameter 19,000 feet or 3.6 miles. The Vox illustrations seem too large.

The Chesapeake Bay is a large body of water in area but it is not very deep.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mk378
This volume would fill a sphere of diameter 19,000 feet or 3.6 miles. The Vox illustrations seem too large.

Need to scale the shadow of the sphere in the Vox illustration to the ground details to verify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back