Out with the Old, In with the New (MXV4 > Premier)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reference Primacy MXV4 195/60R15 88V with about 70,000 and down to less than 5/32 I decided to replace the Michelin Primacy MXV4 195/60R15 88V with new Michelin Premier A/S 195/60R15 88H. (They don’t make V).

Premier1.jpg

Premier2.jpg

The Premier balanced and road forced well, though they did require matching.

The ride is a bit more supple and so far they have met or exceeded expectations, they now have about 1000 miles on them.

In addition, I won't be getting close to 70K miles on the MXV4's on my Altima(30K thus far) as I have 6-7 32nds on all 4 now and they were marginal in the deep/greasy snow/slush last winter. Unless we have a mild winter, I'll have to get something else.

Overall I love the tires but I've had better all season tire that did better in the white stuff negating the need for full blown winter tires. I may get some Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S+ as I have on the mazda3(which also has AltiMax Arctic)

70k with 5/32 left is amazing life!

The Premiers probably won't quite last that long since they start at 8.5/32 rather than the full 10/32 of normal tires.

A big thanks to the higher power that snow traction is not a major consideration to me.
grin.gif

I have never done 5 tire rotations, though I probably should. That way I won’t end up with another zero wear but aged tire in the attic. OTOH I couldn’t stand a spare that didn’t match. Both of our everyday cars have a full size spare though, even though neither came with one and neither fits exactly in the spare well. In the case of the Prius it doesn’t fit at all and is tied down in the cargo area, which is a pain. The Civic it fits in the well but the cover is slightly raised and thus the trunk mat doesn’t lay properly.

I know the concerns about the shallower than typical tread depth of the Premier. Perhaps they will last as long and perhaps not. Perhaps they will remain useable and safe to a shallower tread depth due to the emerging groove technology. No matter it is a chance I am willing to take.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
70k with 5/32 left is amazing life!

The Premiers probably won't quite last that long since they start at 8.5/32 rather than the full 10/32 of normal tires.
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
In addition, I won't be getting close to 70K miles on the MXV4's on my Altima(30K thus far) as I have 6-7 32nds on all 4 now and they were marginal in the deep/greasy snow/slush last winter. Unless we have a mild winter, I'll have to get something else.

Right! And mine are 17" and they might only go 60K miles in a southern driving environment. It's too bad as well because they are quite a nice quiet/smooth riding tire...the way I like it!

I love Michelin but I don't drive enough to wear them out and they cost 40 to 50 dollars more a tire than my Hankooks. I've had them before and always had to replace them due to tire rot. If I still worked and had to drive 40 miles one way work that would be the tire I owned.

The Premier A/S will likely be the next set of tires on my Lexus. I like them for the wet traction and hydroplaning resistance for the thunderstorms here in Florida. They will be replacing Goodyear Comfortread Touring tires that have really been an exceptional tire on the Lexus but are showing their age as they're chunking more as the tread gets thinner on them. All 4 are still about 5/32 so they probably have another ~10,000 or so miles in them as the car sees a 110 mile daily commute which is fairly easy on tires. Mileage on the Goodyear tires is unknown as my mother purchased them in 2012 and the car ran dedicated snow tires from 2012-2016 prior to it coming to Florida. I do know that we've put 35,000 miles on them since I've owned the car and they've only lost 2/32 of tread. I'd estimate the total miles to be somewhere around 60,000 miles give or take 10,000. Before I replace the tires with new ones I intend to burn through the set of Goodyear Ultra Grip ice snow tires that I have on another set of rims since they're already bought and paid for and there's no market here in Florida for a set of snow tires mounted on rims so I might as well get some use out of them. I don't expect that I'll get more than about 20,000 miles out of them but any miles I do get postpones having to purchase new tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back