Honda vs Acura K24 oil specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this today. K24 engine in an Acura. It says "5W30" on the oil cap. The Acura oil chart is also interesting. It first specs 5W30,then 5W20,then next says 0W20 "ok" and "acceptable". First of all,why does Acura spec 5W30 for the K24 when Honda specs 5W and 0W20 only? Is the engine identical in both Acura and Honda cars? Per the Acura chart,is it saying the 20wts are a compromise in protection by saying it's ok and acceptable?

Just go with the thicker oil, Acura is just another Honda. Its all a game, the engine wouldn't mind a bit if you put some 0w40 in it in fact it might have less wear and be quieter.

They are slightly different, as Peter alluded to. The engines are not identical.

The TSX K24 has a higher compression ratio (10.5:1 vs 9.6:1), 200 hp instead of 160, uses premium not regular.

Its still a Honda K24 just with higher compression, its identical otherwise in every way. The engine is sold in Europe as a Honda (acura doesn't even exist as a brand) in all variants and all use the same oil.

And on the other side of the pond all Hondas that I know ride on nothing but 10w40/5w40/0w40 synthetics. From Europe to Siberia. I use the same regime on this side of the pond as well. Except 10w40 tho. My honda purrs like a kitten on w40 oils and so did all previously owned hondas.

If you'd rather use a 5W-30, then just go ahead and do it.
Certainly won't do any harm.
A quick calculation in my head indicates that if I drive 1500 miles a month, which our K24 is now seeing, I might save an entire gallon of gas using a 0W-20 rather than a 5W-30.
Not enough to worry about if you're inclined to use a 5W-30.
Go for it and let us know what the impact on willingness to rev and fuel consumption is. I'd bet you'll see no discernable difference and I'd also bet that the engine will seem smoother and quieter.

Folks:

I drive a bought new by me 2010 Honda Element SC. I have 158K miles on it now. The K24 motor has always sounded "industrial", like a tractor. It's always been noisiest when cold, with what sounds like piston slap.

Honda specs 5W-20 (and later back spec-ing 0W-20). I've used those two viscosities, Mobi1 1 and Castrol, the Extended Performance versions. One time I tried German Castrol 0W-30 to see if that would quiet down the motor. It didn't. The last year or so I've been using Castrol Extended Performance 5W-30. The motor remains as noisy as it was on 5W-20.

My point is that anyone who claims that a thicker oil will quiet down the K24, well, it didn't quiet mine down.

Just an FYI. I'm not picking a fight.

Scott

Mine purrs like a happy kitty on PP 0W20!! From cold start to hot start,it's smooth and silent. I'm just like the rest of everyone here,always curious and on the quest for ultimate engine lubrication. After all,that's what brought us all here in the first place
laugh.gif
If we weren't all oil nerds and car freaks,we wouldn't be here.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Mine purrs like a happy kitty on PP 0W20!! From cold start to hot start,it's smooth and silent. I'm just like the rest of everyone here,always curious and on the quest for ultimate engine lubrication. After all,that's what brought us all here in the first place
laugh.gif
If we weren't all oil nerds and car freaks,we wouldn't be here.

+1

I had a K20Z3 in a Civic Si specd for 5W30. It loved the stuff and didn't matter which brand. Also had a RDX which required synthetic 5W30. M1 and PP at the time. For a K24 motor I'd run a synthetic 5w30, 10W30, 0W30 or 0W40 European Formula.

Just to add to the discussion, the same base engine when used as an outboard (BF135) specifies 10W30.

https://www.northeastmarine.net/images/products/manuals/honda/bf135-manual.pdf Page 69.

and FC-W

https://www.nmma.org/assets/cabinets/Cabinet456/FC-W%20Combined%20Certification%20Procedure%20Manual%20(3%2016)%201.pdf

which specifies a post shear test HTHS of 3.3.

If all this "flow" was good, why doesn't Honda spec for "flow" ???

Much more effort and rpms required of an outboard. 4 wheels roll a lot easier than a bass boat running 4000-5500 rpms most of the time. So I can see why a thicker oil is required for outboards.

Our newer Accord is generally smooth and quiet, but this is more a matter of the engine mounts and the sound deadening of the car than it is anything inherent to the engine or the oil used.
The K24 is less refined than the earlier Honda fours we've had but you'll notice this only when you run it hard.

If that's the case,The newer 2.4 DI,relatively speaking,runs like a Tractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back