Water Humming Noise Solved!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Figured I'd share this incase anybody else might have this issue, or it happens. Moved into this house December 2015 and we noticed there was a slight hum when you flushed the toilet. Didn't think too much about it, but a couple months later it got a little louder. Ok, I figure the toilet fill valve is bad so I replaced it. Nope still there. Over time it would do it when we turned on the shower/tub as well. Tore that valve apart, still making noise. Time after time it was so that any water being run the whole house would hum. We lived with it for over a year, but its recently got really bad. On a hunch I figured the only thing in the system that was older was the pressure regulator. Went and picked one up yesterday along with a few fittings (old one was seized in place) and lo and behold no more noise!

Here's the valve in question:
(Yes, that's a Sharkbite on there. I can solder copper, but I've never seen one fail and it's super easy to work with)

0xgSJv8.jpg

I figure with the terrible city water around here calcium built up in the old valve (like our old water heater) and over time it got worse. Wouldn't think it would be a wear and tear item, but for $70 all together valve and fittings if it starts doing it again I'll just replace it again.

Good you fixed it.
Great feeling when you save the cost of hiring a Plumber.

I have never heard of a Pressure Regulator for plumbing.
My water comes out of the Meter and then on to the Faucets.

When the water system was rebuilt at a relative's house the line pressure went up to 110 PSI from 30 [si on a good day. Leaks developed all over the neighborhood and garden hoses whipped around like snakes. Regulators producing 50 psi were installed on lines to the street and solved the problem.

When I had city water hooked up here about 15 years ago, the contractor put in a pressure regulator. He set it to 50psi. Good thing, found out that we can get pressure spikes up to 100psi.

I think that's the situation here. We're relatively close to the end of the line, so I'm sure the regulator is definitely needed. I need to pick up a pressure gauge to see the actual pressure. I'd like to see what a little more would do. Water hose pressure is lacking outside, but I'm betting it's a volume thing more than pressure. Whole house is 1/2" copper and Pex, so I think I need to come off the regulator with 3/4x1/2 tee for a separate line to the hose bibb.

Solder guy here. I have about 20 feet of grey PEX. The rest is Iron to the well tank and 1/2 copper outward. What is a shark bite? :D):

Originally Posted By: Delta
Figured I'd share this incase anybody else might have this issue, or it happens. Moved into this house December 2015 and we noticed there was a slight hum when you flushed the toilet. Didn't think too much about it, but a couple months later it got a little louder. Ok, I figure the toilet fill valve is bad so I replaced it. Nope still there. Over time it would do it when we turned on the shower/tub as well. Tore that valve apart, still making noise. Time after time it was so that any water being run the whole house would hum. We lived with it for over a year, but its recently got really bad. On a hunch I figured the only thing in the system that was older was the pressure regulator. Went and picked one up yesterday along with a few fittings (old one was seized in place) and lo and behold no more noise!

Here's the valve in question:
(Yes, that's a Sharkbite on there. I can solder copper, but I've never seen one fail and it's super easy to work with)

0xgSJv8.jpg

I figure with the terrible city water around here calcium built up in the old valve (like our old water heater) and over time it got worse. Wouldn't think it would be a wear and tear item, but for $70 all together valve and fittings if it starts doing it again I'll just replace it again.

Shark Bite fittings are the best thing since sliced bread.
There is a nylon sleeve and o-ring between the fitting and your copper pipe. There may also be a metal sleeve with claws that grip the pipe so you most likely are good.
Check the continuity between your ground and the other side of the Shark Bite fitting.
See attached edit of your photo.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Very good point! Just took my meter down there and there is continuity going through the Sharkbite.

Great. Always good to verify when something is connected to a potential energy source.

Somehow plumbing and music conflate in my head....

Oh, the shark, babe, has such teeth, dear
And it shows them pearly white
Just a jackknife has old MacHeath, babe
And he keeps it, ah, out of sight
Ya know when that shark bites with his teeth, babe
Scarlet billows start to spread
Fancy gloves, oh, wears old MacHeath, babe
So there's never, never a trace of red

Where I live in the mountains whole subdivisions have there own pressure reducer on the water main at the bottom of the hill as the water tanks are at the top of the hill.

Problems arise when plumbers also put in a pressure reducer in the home and they then cut the already cut pressure too much.

Originally Posted By: callbay
Where I live in the mountains whole subdivisions have there own pressure reducer on the water main at the bottom of the hill as the water tanks are at the top of the hill.

Problems arise when plumbers also put in a pressure reducer in the home and they then cut the already cut pressure too much.

This does not make any sense. If the street pressure is set at 50 psi and the house reducer is also set at 50 psi then the pressure will not be affected.

It sounds like the plumber simply reduced pressure too much.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
Somehow plumbing and music conflate in my head....

Oh, the shark, babe, has such teeth, dear
And it shows them pearly white
Just a jackknife has old MacHeath, babe
And he keeps it, ah, out of sight
Ya know when that shark bites with his teeth, babe
Scarlet billows start to spread
Fancy gloves, oh, wears old MacHeath, babe
So there's never, never a trace of red

Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back