Heat in Southern California

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been hot here, in triple digits into the late night, the hottest days we've ever had in the recent past. In the back part of our property, I filed several old cattle/horse troughs with water and put out some salt licks. At one trough there were coyotes, deer, raccoons and a couple of foxes all taking turns and not going after each other.

Two of the foxes came up to me and one lead me off into a rocky, hilly area to another very young fox that was lying in a ditch. I picked him up and took the three of them back to the house and took care of the sick little fox. Some water and some liquefied food with a turkey baster helped. My vet neighbor stopped by and an IV helped to speed up the process along with an exam for all 3 and some vaccinations. After about 48 hours I turned them loose where I found them. Tonight when I checked the troughs the 3 foxes came right up to me and greeted me by jumping up and down and running around in circles while making a lot of noise and I got my face licked. The little guy looked like he made a complete recovery. I named the 2 adults Bonny and Clyde and the little guy, Buster.

Every once in a while you have a really good day that just took getting involved. This was one of those days.

OneEyeJack, that's a very nice story. I wish I could've been there to witness it.
smile.gif

Nice story, thanks for the smile!

Got any pics of these guys? It would be cool to put a name with a face lol.

It was 46 degrees here last night here in northeast PA, I made my first fire in the fireplace. Wife and kids wanted to put the heat on! Seemed too early for that, thought a little fire would be cozier...

Well written! (as always, Mr OneEyejack)

Thank you

=======================

“If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man.”

- Mark Twain

And the real story: you’re a midget, and in a heat induced delirium you donned a fox suit, tripped over the house cat and...well, you get the picture. ONLY KIDDING
laugh.gif

Although rare here, I know 100F+ temperature/humidity just sucks the energy right out of you. Good to hear you had the presence of mind to consider the local fauna. I tip my hat!

To answer some question. No cell phone service so I don't carry the phone/camera. Around here the neighbors and I carry long range walkie-talkies. We keep in close touch because of our proximity to the border and the problems with illegals. We're not politically correct because of security concerns. We chase them off with dogs and guns on horseback or in 4x4's. They'll steal anything they can carry. We put water bottles out for them but they claim they have rights and we should supply food and transportation to the local government offices where they can apply for benefits that they are due. Amount of land? A couple of acres around the house and 20 or so acres outside that.

By the way, it's midnight here and Buster (the little fox) is outside playing with some of my 6 dogs. He had his first taste of dry dog food and now he's running around in circles playing with Buddy our 85-pound black lab mix (also a rescue dog). I think Buddy is getting dizzy and I'm going to bed. Good night everyone.

When I was a kid my dad had a friend with a pet red fox. He found it when it was young and made it a pet. Just like a dog in many ways, but with some unique traits.

It would be cool if these foxes become long time buddies with you.

A nice read. Thanks for posting it.
We have families of foxes on our lot some years and the kits are really cute.
The adults are usually very wary, but they can become quite tame once they become accustomed to your presence and figure out that you mean them no harm. The kits will come quite close to you and will give you the same type of open mouthed tongue lolling grin that you see on any domesticated dog.

Good story, nice save
smile.gif

113* up here north of SF. The heat is on to Tuesday at least, then back in the 90*'s. Will play havoc with the grape harvest. Sugars will shoot up like a rocket and it'll be all hands on deck to get the fruit in before it goes to high ...

Ranchers will be irrigating whatever water they still have in ponds to slow the process, but it's on now ...

We're blanketed in smoke from Orroville/Plumas and southern Oregon. Fire season is getting bad. A lot of grass due to the big rains this year, and now triple digits and holiday weekend. I'll bet I hear sirens all day ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back