A little over the top

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a little
cool.gif

https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2018-Ninja-H2

This is from the same company turned the performance world on its head in 1969 with the Kawasaki 500 cc Mach 3. What else could we expect?

Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
MSRP $28,000 US . Ouch, maybe I am out of touch on pricing for open-class sport bikes.
Cheaper than an high output sports cars.

Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
MSRP $28,000 US . Ouch, maybe I am out of touch on pricing for open-class sport bikes.

Website link says it's a limited production bike, so probably part of the reason for the high price. Can only be ordered through the dealer between Sep 1st and Nov 30th 2017.

Like the idea of available power, not sure about the styling. I'd rather throw a turbo on an R1M, and probably will have enough left over for gear like roo skin suit and other goodies.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Like the idea of available power, not sure about the styling. I'd rather throw a turbo on an R1M, and probably will have enough left over for gear like roo skin suit and other goodies.

I have a Yamaha GTS-1000 : very distinctive bike but there are almost no performance parts for it. Other than the cam grind and EFI, the engine is identical to the 90's YZF1000 so engine internals are readily available if I wanted a full rebuild.

They've been around since 2015. In stock form it's restricted, and noticeably heavier than liter-class sportbikes. Of course it can be modified for significantly more power. There's also the H2R which makes a lot more power from the factory, but it is not a street legal bike.

Lots of other options for speed on two wheels. It all depends on what your priorities are.

Originally Posted By: CT8
This is from the same company turned the performance world on its head in 1969 with the Kawasaki 500 cc Mach 3. What else could we expect?

I remember those, killer kawasakies, many a rider bought it on those.
They would hit that magic rpm and the bike would do a wheelie, an absolute rocket.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Wow....my 1975 900 z1 cost $2,000 !
My 1971 Mach cost $999.00 plus tax and license list price.Money is worth less and the bikes are way better. Iw as my favorite bike far from the best but when you hit the power band it was like being rear ended by a locomotive .The Mach III performance in comparison now is equal to an entry level bike. The Kawasaki 900 were the first bikes that were actually faster than the MachIII the H@ 750 were not really faster. I had friends that rode them. The Hondas 750 were a nicer bike but slower.

More power than 80% of riders can operate with enough finesse not to get hurt or killed and I'd include myself as lacking that skill to ride such a bike anywhere near it's limits. And when you have a bike like that, you may well eventually cave to her siren's song and end up pushing well beyond your own rider skill set, seduced by the strong and seemingly unending pull as you continue to roll on and shift. Neither the hyper power nor the styling straight out of a Japanese Anime film are my cup of tea.

LoneRanger is spot on. I'd even go so far as to say that any modern motorcycle is more capable than 99% of riders. The limiting factor in nearly every situation is no longer hardware, it's the analog controller behind the handlebars.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
More power than 80% of riders can operate with enough finesse not to get hurt or killed and I'd include myself as lacking that skill to ride such a bike anywhere near it's limits. And when you have a bike like that, you may well eventually cave to her siren's song and end up pushing well beyond your own rider skill set, seduced by the strong and seemingly unending pull as you continue to roll on and shift. Neither the hyper power nor the styling straight out of a Japanese Anime film are my cup of tea.

Which is why I'm always advocating for extensive rider training. Motorcycling is far more enjoyable, when you know how to instinctively handle any situation which might arise.

Having helped instruct at several advanced riding and racing schools, everyone improves with good instruction. I remember one guy that was in an advanced riding class, who had been riding for something like 30 years. He said in effect: "I came here thinking I had 30 years of riding experience. Now I realize I had one year of riding experience, thirty times".

Originally Posted By: 02SE
... He said in effect: "I came here thinking I had 30 years of riding experience. Now I realize I had one year of riding experience, thirty times".

I'm writin' that one down amongst my stash of "sayings" I've heard. Pretty good!!

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: gman2304
Wow....my 1975 900 z1 cost $2,000 !
My 1971 Mach cost $999.00 plus tax and license list price.Money is worth less and the bikes are way better. Iw as my favorite bike far from the best but when you hit the power band it was like being rear ended by a locomotive .The Mach III performance in comparison now is equal to an entry level bike. The Kawasaki 900 were the first bikes that were actually faster than the MachIII the H@ 750 were not really faster. I had friends that rode them. The Hondas 750 were a nicer bike but slower.

These were the first twelve second bikes and were unbelievably fast by the standards of the time. You're right in that the 750 was no faster than the 500.
Other than that, these Kawasaki triples were awful machines with evil handling.
A buddy who was among the guys I shared lodging with in school had a 750 which he lent me a couple of times to use to take a long ride to visit a girl friend, such being the power of physical attraction for a twenty year old guy.
Imagine a two hundred mile ride north on a Kawi triple in Ohio in October. These were not comfortable machines as compared to other bikes of the period.
Fuel consumption was also ridiculous and was worse than what many small cars of the time delivered.
These things would run forever and were certainly fast in a straight line.
Other than that, they were junk on two wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back