Amsoil 5W30 SS, Nissan SR20DET, storage UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Nissan 180SX was in storage for just over 2 years on this oil. Filter was a Mobil1 EP. I took it out this summer to give the car a good check up on it's health which included giving it a shakedown on a chassis dyno. I was pleased the 80,000 mile motor from 1994 was making more than factory power with just a aftermarket exhaust and air filter. Compression numbers were all good as well.

I was concerned about fuel dilution due to lots of idling and short trips, so I decided to dump the oil and collected a sample at 200 miles/2 years on the oil. I also pulled the pan and cut the filter. I saw lots of small reflective specs/dust in the residual oil in the pan under the sunlight and about a dozen
Those not familiar with the motor, it's a aluminum block, timing chain, journal bearing turbo.

The SR20 is one of the great engines. It was always much better than it had to be, expensive to build due to its design and doomed by the resulting expense. Even low tech finger followers couldn't tarnish its rep. Too bad Nissan couldn't have wrapped more expensive subsystems, like stronger transmissions, around them. It looks like you have a good example to go forward with.

Ah yes, never understood why they didn't use shim over bucket on the SR since it's a rev happy motor. Perhaps because it would put more strain on the chain? I know on the KA24 with the shim over bucket design they use 2 seperate chains tied together by a central sprocket and the top chain is a beefy double wide chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back