Copper Grease vs Permatex Silver Anti seize?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am planning to do some maintenance for EXUP valves on the motorcycle and many links are suggesting to use copper grease.

I have some Permatex silver anti seize laying around. Can I use it?

Thanks for the help.

The copper grease seems to hold up to heat better, but I would use what you got unless you can wait for Amazon to bring you some C5-A.

Originally Posted By: nthach
The copper grease seems to hold up to heat better, but I would use what you got unless you can wait for Amazon to bring you some C5-A.

Thanks, yeah one I have can go up to 1600 and C5-A is 1800 degrees.

Any idea if I can C5-A or similar locally at Walmart or AAP or even pep Boys?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Originally Posted By: nthach

Thanks, yeah one I have can go up to 1600 and C5-A is 1800 degrees.

Any idea if I can C5-A or similar locally at Walmart or AAP or even pep Boys?

Thanks

Sure! You should be able to find the Permatex version of copper antiseize locally. It is also good up to 1800 F. Check NAPA if no one else has it.

Copper and Aluminum are on opposite sides of the electro-negativity chart. One acts like a battery anode, and the other acts like a battery cathode. Put them together and you get major corrosion. Not a good idea.

Copper based anti-seize grease used on steel or iron is probably a good idea, but I would not use it on anything with Aluminum.

In basic Chemistry the teacher told a story about someone who used brass pipe fittings on the cooling connections on a very expensive Aluminum mold. After about a year the corrosion at the brass (brass has copper in it) and Aluminum connections was soooooo bad that the entire mold had to be scrapped.

Also, nail up copper gutters with Aluminum roofing nails and in a year or so the gutters will fall down.

Do not use copper based anti-seize on an Aluminum head.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Copper and Aluminum are on opposite sides of the electro-negativity chart. One acts like a battery anode, and the other acts like a battery cathode. Put them together and you get major corrosion. Not a good idea.

Copper based anti-seize grease used on steel or iron is probably a good idea, but I would not use it on anything with Aluminum.

In basic Chemistry the teacher told a story about someone who used brass pipe fittings on the cooling connections on a very expensive Aluminum mold. After about a year the corrosion at the brass (brass has copper in it) and Aluminum connections was soooooo bad that the entire mold had to be scrapped.

Also, nail up copper gutters with Aluminum roofing nails and in a year or so the gutters will fall down.

That's where I am planning to use : https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/fazer1000/exup-valve-maintenance-t1524.html

What should I use? Silver Permatex or Copper anti seize?

BTW, Aluminum melts at 1220.58 degrees Fahrenheit, so if your motorcycle has Aluminum heads why would you be worried about using an anti-seize that is ONLY good up to 1600 F.

BTW, Aluminum melts at 1220.58 degrees Fahrenheit, so if your motorcycle has Aluminum heads why would you be worried about using an anti-seize that is ONLY good up to 1600 F.

Honestly, I have no clue. In the link I posted above it say to use copper and I only have silver one.

Hence I asked the question, so I should be good to go with silver Permatex anti seize and lubricant, right?

Do not drop a penny in the bilges of your aluminium sailboat either.

“Galvanic corrosion does not occur when dissimilar metals are completely dry,”.....water needs to be present for galvanic corrosion to occur.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
“Galvanic corrosion does not occur when dissimilar metals are completely dry,”.....water needs to be present for galvanic corrosion to occur.

Yeh. So only usually a problem on Planet Earth.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

not in this application. Water is not hanging around these areas typically.

Thanks guys, since there's no clear evidence I'll be using Permatex silver since that's what I have laying around.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

not in this application. Water is not hanging around these areas typically.

If this were true, there would be no rust on exhaust manifolds. Since there often is, it apparently often isn't.

It'll probably partly depend on the environment (high humidity here, for example, with periodic typhoon pressure washing) and the frequency of use.

Whether galvasnic corrosion would actually matter in this application is another matter. There's an argument that such corrosion actually helps keep the surfaces apart. If there's any truth in it, that may be the basis for the recommendation for copper mentioned above.

I'd use the aluminium stuff, because, like the OP, I have some (bought in Japan), plus, unlike the OP, I can't get antisieze of any kind here in Taiwan.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
What has always been brought up at this point is that Permatex actually states on their web site about copper antiseize: "Suggested Applications: Spark plug threads installed in aluminum". Go figure. It leaves anyone knowledgeable about galvanic corrosion scratching their head.

https://www.permatex.com/products/lubric...eize-lubricant/

Yet Ive never seen any signs of corrosion when using copper grease with aluminium and steel. But dont put any, and the white powdery stuff is galore...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back