Best filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, Now I'm confused after reading about filters....Not sure why but I have always heard that you should NEVER buy a Fram oil filter, maybe some time in the past one burst and cooked a motor and they got a bad rep, really not sure how that got started but now I see that you guys think the Fram Ultra is the best......I have been using Mobil 1 M206 for my 5.3 Chevy pickup because it's a longer than stock filter and I can always find one.....I have also bought a Wix XP in the longer size because they have a full synthetic media but from reading another post about Wix X P vs M1 it said the Wix is only 50% efficient at 30 microns so I would really like to find out number one, how Fram got such a bad reputation and number two, is the Fram Ultra now the best on the market?......Great forum, have learned a lot from being here a short time.....Thanks!

The XP is rated (per WIX) 50% @ 20 microns, not 30 microns.

Yes, hard to best the Fram Ultra in many regards (construction, performance, price, availability, ect). Many here will say the same.

There are other good filters on the market too, so your own research will have to determine what you choose for whatever reason. Otherwise if someone says you should use an Ultra they will be accused of being a shill.
wink.gif

Timmer, the Fram orange can used to catch a lot of flack for its perceived problems, but that was some time ago. They've really cleaned up their act, and stepped up their quality.

Nowadays, it's extremely hard to do better than the Fram Ultra, whether in the same price range, or more.

Timmer,

Keep in mind that the oil you use and what air filter you use is more important than oil filter.

Most oil filters I'm ok with, some filter better than others. The most important thing (imo) is that its integrity stays intact throughout your OFI.

Car51, and many others post C&P's of new and used filters. Look at how they are built, Wire/mesh backing? Louvers/openings? media type? Gaps in media? Tears? Glue inconsistent?

Search Jay Buckley for information related to FRAM's. I believe ISO 4548-12 is an excellent standard for testing.

Others here can tell you about the synthetic media on the ultra, and how great they are for extended OCI's/OFI's.

Most filters do the job just fine..

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum
welcome2.gif

There probably is not a "best" filter.

The filter you select can be based on many factors to include your oil change interval, type of filter media you want, if you want to run the filter for 2 oil changes, how easy it is for you to get the filter, and the amount of money you are willing to spend for the filter. There are probably several other factors you may consider as well.

I suggest you look at some of the cut open filters that have been posted here for construction info. Then investigate filtration information if that is what you are interested in. There are many folks here that have tremendous knowledge of filters.

Ultimately you decide. Again, there is probably not a best. There are many good ones made these days.

Enjoy your reading and the hunt. And good luck.

Originally Posted By: Timmer
Ok, Now I'm confused after reading about filters....Not sure why but I have always heard that you should NEVER buy a Fram oil filter, maybe some time in the past one burst and cooked a motor and they got a bad rep, really not sure how that got started but now I see that you guys think the Fram Ultra is the best......I have been using Mobil 1 M206 for my 5.3 Chevy pickup because it's a longer than stock filter and I can always find one.....I have also bought a Wix XP in the longer size because they have a full synthetic media but from reading another post about Wix X P vs M1 it said the Wix is only 50% efficient at 30 microns so I would really like to find out number one, how Fram got such a bad reputation and number two, is the Fram Ultra now the best on the market?......Great forum, have learned a lot from being here a short time.....Thanks!

Years ago the basic Fram extra guard had a bad habit of falling apart internally so at best it was bypassing and not filtering and at worst you got bits and pieces of filter in your oil. This is no longer the case.

That M1 filter is good, but imo overpriced. It only has a semisynthetic media. The Fram Ultra is a better value and a better filter. Synthetic wire backed media, nice silicone rubber ADBV, 20 micron filtering and can be had for $9 at Walmart.

Read up on it.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Yes, hard to best the Fram Ultra in many regards (construction, performance, price, availability, ect). Many here will say the same.

There are other good filters on the market too, so your own research will have to determine what you choose for whatever reason. Otherwise if someone says you should use an Ultra they will be accused of being a shill.
wink.gif

You never do this, but try pointing out something on a Fram like an off center adbv and see what happens. Even when there is a clear picture of it.
I think the best filter is a Frantz.

Define best and regardless what the hive thinks or the article just read prove we will see any difference in the 200,000 to 350,000 miles most people run their passenger vehicles.All that matters is that the filter doesn't fail and the most important filter, the air filter works and the intake plumbing is sealed.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes

wink.gif

You never do this, but try pointing out something on a Fram like an off center adbv and see what happens. Even when there is a clear picture of it.
I think the best filter is a Frantz.
The Frantz in a bypass filter. The best filter for engine life is a full flow filter.

Purolator is the new hated filter due to tears although the tears didn't bother me but that perforated center tube did and I switched to Fram.
You can sometimes find Fram Ultra for $4.50 a filter by the case. They are the best but even the Orange cans have really gotten better. They had oil filters cut apart in
O'riellys the other night and the Fram Orange can looked better than the Wix or Microgard.

Doggone that's impressive. An 'ol Fram orange can looking better and han those two filters is surprising.

I think they got really embarrassed back in the early days of cut and post. 15-20 years ago they got outed as having a [censored] product and word got around. To overcome that they made a filter that even a bitog nazi can love.

You can get bogged down in all the minutia of what oil, filter, etc is best, but basically a quality oil of your choice, quality filters of your choice (air, oil, etc.), all serviced at appropriate intervals consistent with your driving conditions = a greatly reduced chance in problems. I personally think admitting to yourself what the underlined really is, is the key. There are more quality oil and filter choices than ever in the history of shade-treeing. Enjoy it!

Originally Posted By: ejes
You can get bogged down in all the minutia of what oil, filter, etc is best, but basically a quality oil of your choice, quality filters of your choice (air, oil, etc.), all serviced at appropriate intervals consistent with your driving conditions = a greatly reduced chance in problems. I personally think admitting to yourself what the underlined really is, is the key. There are more quality oil and filter choices than ever in the history of shade-treeing. Enjoy it!

+1

Supertech oil and filter changed at 5k will do the job.

wink.gif

I said "there are other good filters on the market too". And simply correcting efficiency info with the facts. Seems that some people around here need to lower their blood pressure before they stroke out.
wink.gif

wink.gif

I said "there are other good filters on the market too". And simply correcting efficiency info with the facts. Seems that some people around here need to lower their blood pressure before they stroke out.
wink.gif

I am as relaxed as my dog was today laying on her back in the grass, and have great blood pressure thanks to the stair climbing and pushups every day. At the parking garage. I was only pointing out it is not liked to find any fault with Fram Ultra or heaven forbid it lost a real world efficiency test.
smile.gif

I was only pointing out it is not liked to find any fault with Fram Ultra or heaven forbid it lost a real world efficiency test.
smile.gif

There have been a few Ultra cartridge filters with issues, and 1 or 2 mention of a spin-on, but far and few between.

It's pretty evident that the Ultra is hard to beat. So until something better comes along it's going to be liked by many members here. And as I said, there are other good filters out there that are close for those people who for some reason hate the Fram brand.

But because I don't seem to agree with you all the time doesn't warrant getting into a badmouth mode. There are reasons I don't agree, because I see things technically different than you at times - so what.
smile.gif

I don't think so much about best filter. There are a lot of filters out there that will give you 99% filtration. But I'm not paying $12 or $14 a filter when I can get ones that will do the same or so close its not worth arguing about it for just over $8 dollars and as low as under $7. Yep I'm going to buy the 99% filter that is on sale and or has a rebate. I just stay with my 2 Oil changes a year and my OCI's run in the 4000 to 5000 mile range. Now I use synthetic and the facts show I can expect 50% better wear than using conventional oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back