Linux desktop market share > 3%!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what OS are using the Cisco switches/routers/firewalls that most of our day-to-day internet traffic goes trough....

or a lot of critical servers....

back to topic: maybe because of better GUI?

or some people don't like the subscriber type of software model used these days?

(If I say dumb things, I don't mind being corrected)

For most people who just browse the Internet, pay some bills, social media, it's really perfect. But now there is a ton more compatible software for different version and even if you have other software requirements, it probably works or has an alternative.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
I wonder what OS are using the Cisco switches/routers/firewalls that most of our day-to-day internet traffic goes trough....

Cisco's own IOS or CatOS - not based on Linux or Unix, AFAIK

or a lot of critical servers....

back to topic: maybe because of better GUI?

or some people don't like the subscriber type of software model used these days?

(If I say dumb things, I don't mind being corrected)

Cisco use their own proprietary system called IOS (yes same name, but different to the Apple mobile operating system. They used to run on custom chips on the Network gear I used to work on.

Critical Servers, used to be mostly UNIX (HP and IBM were big players), Linux is more popular on more modern systems (can't tell you by how much), almost always Redhat.

IMHO I suspect there is a change in the way the data has been collected/counted.

Originally Posted By: NGRhodes
IMHO I suspect there is a change in the way the data has been collected/counted.

Agreed, the single-month jump like that is kinda weird.

I've put Linux Mint and Cinnamon on quite a few computers for my personal use, and for friends and family. No complaints from any of us.

I would switch to Linux if google drive and Blue Iris was supported. But I can't find anything that works as well as those two for my needs.

Linux is more for the back end, although it has made leaps and bounds in the last 17 years as a desktop OS. Ubuntu actually plays nice with a lot of computers out of the box. Lenovo's ThinkPads support it natively. Android, ChromeOS, and a few other things have some Linux in them.

The real power of Linux is on mobile/embedded(IOT is the fancy term these days) and yes, the back end(SaaS, or the cloud). It's readily available unlike some real-time operating systems, easy for a developer to get their head around it and it's small compared to say, Windows.

Originally Posted By: Killer223
i have mint on 4 home pc's and anyone who has computer issues gets it as well.

It is perfect for people with computer issues, or trying to squeeze a few more years out of an old PC. It also works well for people surfing the web that are somehow prone to getting viruses and malware. It pretty much eliminates those problems for many computer users.

Originally Posted By: terry274
I would switch to Linux if google drive and Blue Iris was supported. But I can't find anything that works as well as those two for my needs.

I can only speak to Google Drive. There are a few 3rd-party applications that handle Google Drive better than the native app (ie. multiple accounts). InSync is the one I use. It costs a small fee. There are others out there as well whose names escape me at present that do a great job for very nominal fees.

https://www.insynchq.com/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: terry274

I have 2 Linux distros plus windows 10 on my laptop. Ubuntu and Zorin OS are the two Linux systems, and I like Zorin best because it seems to be faster and came with more built in applications. there is no issue accessing Google drive in either Linux system I use through the Chrome browser, but I don't know about Blue Iris.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Android, ChromeOS, and a few other things have some Linux in them.

Well, they run on Linux, so I guess that qualifies as having "some Linux in them"!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
For most people who just browse the Internet, pay some bills, social media, it's really perfect. But now there is a ton more compatible software for different version and even if you have other software requirements, it probably works or has an alternative.

Almost every box from Cisco runs Linux, except the the IOS-XR which runs QNX, however now IOS-XR 5 and 6.1.1 run Linux.

Originally Posted By: wwillson
Originally Posted By: Miller88

Almost every box from Cisco runs Linux, except the the IOS-XR which runs QNX, however now IOS-XR 5 and 6.1.1 run Linux.

I don't believe that's accurate. IOS features have been ported to Linux, but most of the gear not running IOS-XR is still running the old monolithic IOS images such as switches, ISR's and Access Points.

Now of course there is the Linux-based ASA OS, as well as the acquired FirePower software which also runs on Linux, and Cisco has had a ton of consumer and SMB products that were Linux-based.

My guess is 90% of backend and cloud runs on linux/unix based servers. Some old holdouts on Windows stuff but that is keep themselves employed.

There must be an uptick of users as typically these stats are pulled by web browser stats which include OS.

I was using Mint on my machines, nice OS but like the others has advantages and disadvantages. I do everything through Chrome, so I am finding the OS really doesn't matter much.

The big thing that moved me away was no support for the fingerprint reader my PCs have.

Originally Posted By: kc8adu
if you count android the % is much higher.
android is linux based.

These are desktop numbers being enumerated... Count Android, servers and embedded systems and it'd appear the whole world runs atop the Linux kernel. :^)

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: kc8adu
if you count android the % is much higher.
android is linux based.

These are desktop numbers being enumerated... Count Android, servers and embedded systems and it'd appear the whole world runs atop the Linux kernel. :^)

Well, it kind of does

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back