Redline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is some correspondence I had with Redline about thier calcium package. Read up from the bottom.

XXX,

Calcium has been and continues to be the most effective additive for cleanliness and wear protection. It is highly unlikely the industry will move away from it as an additive but engine manufacturers will learn to deal with LSPI. There are a number of factors that can impact LSPI, unknown how our oil, the base stock and additives used would compare to others.

Regards,

Dave Granquist

P: (+1) 707.751.2914 |

O: (+1) 707.745.6100 |

6100 Egret Ct | Benicia, CA 94510

Red Line Synthetic Oil

http://www.redlineoil.com/images/logo.png

Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2017 9:16 PM
To: Granquist, David
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL]Red Line Oil Web Site Contact Form

David,

The following excerpt is taken directly from the Chevron Oronite website:

Many factors have been demonstrated to impact LSPI, including: engine designs, fuel composition, and lubricant composition. On the lubricant side, the most noticeable impact has been from the detergent chemistry. Oils with higher concentrations of calcium, which is found in many detergent systems, have been shown to increase the frequency of LSPI. The exact chemistry of the detergent is less important to LSPI than the calcium content. Conversely, magnesium-based detergents do not seem to promote LSPI. Although reducing calcium may seem like a solution to control LSPI, there may be other performance tradeoffs to consider. In addition there are other additives that can also help reduce LSPI events. This provides an opportunity to formulate for robust LSPI performance, while maintaining the level of detergency needed to help keep engines clean and neutralize acids generated during combustion.

Aside from the detergent system, there are many other additive and lubricant compositions that can influence LSPI. Molybdenum compounds, for example, not only provide frictional benefits, but also have been shown to decrease LSPI when used at high levels. Base oils also affect LSPI events. Both the quality of the base stock (i.e. Group II versus Group III) and the viscosity can have secondary effects on LSPI. The effect on LSPI from these other lubricant aspects are not as significant as the detergent system, but can shift the LSPI frequency in oils that are more prone to LSPI.
LSPI Chart: High or Low Calcium

Here is the link to the page:

https://www.oronite.com/products/lspi.asp

R,

XXX

On Thursday, August 31, 2017 10:37 AM, "Granquist, David" wrote:

XXX,

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, I am not aware of any specific direct corelation between calcium and intake valve deposits in DI engines, though I will speak with our Chemist. The information that I have seen seems to indicate the intake deposits have more to do with the specific engine, it’s design, the EGR and PCV level and likely other factors. Using our SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner on a continious basis in direct injection engine will help control injector and combustion chamber deposits, the detergents can remaining active through combustion which helps control EGR and intake valve deposits.

Regards,

Dave Granquist

P: (+1) 707.751.2914 |

O: (+1) 707.745.6100 |

6100 Egret Ct | Benicia, CA 94510

Red Line Synthetic Oil

http://www.redlineoil.com/images/logo.png

Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 8:11 PM
To: RSC:RLO Info
Subject: [EXTERNAL]Red Line Oil Web Site Contact Form

Below are the results from the Red Line Oil Web Site Contact Form submitted 8/30/2017 8:10:34 PM:

Full Name: XXX
Company:
Email Address: XXX
Phone:
Address:
City:
State:
Zip:
Region:
Request Type: Technical Request

Comments: Question: I have been a user of Redline products for 20 years. I now have two brand new Ford F 150 pickups, both with the 2.7 Ecoboost, which is Direct Injected turbo engine. One of the problems with direct injected engines, is that calcium additives can exacerbate intake and piston deposits, particularly during (and possibly causing) Low Speed Pre Ignition(LSPI). Redline Oil has a pretty stout calcium package. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
"AMSOIL provided 100 percent protection against LSPI in the engine test required by the GM dexos1® Gen 2 specification."
I wonder exactly what this means.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
"AMSOIL provided 100 percent protection against LSPI in the engine test required by the GM dexos1® Gen 2 specification."

Me, too...that whole page is confusing to me.
There is the big "COMING SOON" banner, but the verbiage seems to imply that they already passed the relevant LSPI test at one point while also suggesting their whole line might be reformulated elsewhere. Hard for me to imagine that the SS oils I looked at would blaze through an LSPI test with flying colors, but that doesn't mean that it didn't happen.

I read somewhere that Amsoil's new formulation is ready, but will not be distributed until previous stock has been purchased/delivered.

It means and Amsoil claims that in testing for LSPI, that all three of their oils showed "zero" LSPI events.Five LSPI events can occur before the oil fails. This is not really breaking news to the engineers at Amsoil as the previous SS also protected against LSPI. There is a lot going on in the oil industry,and with LSPI being a major issue,its a perfect time to let the cat out of the bag so to speak. With that said,their new formulation across all three tiers of oil are superior to the previous versions.

Originally Posted By: Toptierpao

It means and Amsoil claims that in testing for LSPI, that all three of their oils showed "zero" LSPI events.Five LSPI events can occur before the oil fails. This is not really breaking news to the engineers at Amsoil as the previous SS also protected against LSPI. There is a lot going on in the oil industry,and with LSPI being a major issue,its a perfect time to let the cat out of the bag so to speak. With that said,their new formulation across all three tiers of oil are superior to the previous versions.

Thanx!

Originally Posted By: Toptierpao

Any idea when Amsoil might go "live" with their updated formulations and also (hopefully) provide their usual detailed test info for these oils on their webpage?

I'd sure take a good look at their 0W30 if they keep a low NOACK loss comparable to the last formulation and give some assurance that they are truly LSPI-resistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back