RMS Leak Oil Question - 02 Accord V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Accord V6 (currently 85k miles), developed a RMS leak about 4 years ago (about 65k miles, at that time).
Used Mobil 1 (Original at first, EP since ~2005 and HM 5W-20 since 2014).
Add Bars RMS Stop Leak and good to go (leak is small, but annoying nonetheless).

Recently saw some posts on BITOG where people are stating to use MaxLife Red Bottle to combat RMS leaks on cars susceptible to this issue?
Can anyone clarify if this is a known, and qualified workaround?
Is there something in the formulations (Mobil 1 HM vs. Maxlife Red that's helping here), or is MaxLife Red just a thicker oil?

RMS will physically be replaced eventually, just waiting on the Trans 'failure' these models have as 'features' to action the fix as a '2-fer.'

MaxLife may not be any thicker but does seem to be the most-effective high-mileage oil for controlling leaks, presumably because it has more seal conditioners than other brands.

If the leak gets worse, try Liqui-Moly Oil Saver. This stopped a front cover leak on my Ford 3.0 24V.

Just to add -

It's most likely not the rear main leaking on your car. The rear main on the J-series is housed in a plate th at bolts to the back of the block. There's also a small o-ring in that plate that seals an oil galley which gets flat and brittle with age. Regardless, the fix is the same. R&R trans and replace main deal and o-ring.

Maxlife 5w30 and Motor Oil Saver
smile.gif

Maxlife didn't seem to have much of an effect on my parents 2005 Chevrolet Uplander with the 3.5, although I only used it for 1 OCI. I am surprised yours is leaking at such an early milage.

Originally Posted By: sirronin
2002 Accord V6 (currently 85k miles), developed a RMS leak about 4 years ago (about 65k miles, at that time).
Used Mobil 1 (Original at first, EP since ~2005 and HM 5W-20 since 2014).
Add Bars RMS Stop Leak and good to go (leak is small, but annoying nonetheless).

Recently saw some posts on BITOG where people are stating to use MaxLife Red Bottle to combat RMS leaks on cars susceptible to this issue?
Can anyone clarify if this is a known, and qualified workaround?
Is there something in the formulations (Mobil 1 HM vs. Maxlife Red that's helping here), or is MaxLife Red just a thicker oil?

RMS will physically be replaced eventually, just waiting on the Trans 'failure' these models have as 'features' to action the fix as a '2-fer.'

The best fix is to replace the RMS.

Turned out the RMS was not the culprit, rather the plate into which the RMS is seated. It appears that the gasket / hondaseal used at the mating surface had degraded and was allowing oil seepage through. All in all, $1025 for the job. While unit was being serviced RMS, o-ring and aforementioned seal were all replaced. Hoping Honda / Acura has begun to use more robust seals at this critical mating junction in their newer models.

Last edited:
I had the RMS replaced on my 1999 Accord I4. It was seepage and nothing dripping on the ground. First dealer quoted $700 to fix. Mileage at the time was 75k or so. Called other area dealers and found one that would do it for $500. Called Honda corp to see if they could help out at all. They agreed to paying half the bill, so $250 was the net cost. Afterwards noticed a flair between 1st and 2nd gear, Uh oh. Took it back and they did a drain and fill. They wanted me to pay for it, but I said it was shifting fine before I brought it in so not paying for that. That solved the issue and sold it at 166k. Still ran like a top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back