Is ZERO oil consumption the ultimate goal??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the ultimate goal to find an oil/wt that doesn't burn?

I just recently serviced my 2 trucks with full synthetic 10w30. One is carbed, one fuel injected.

My driving has lots of cold starts. wife drives 7500 miles a year and i do maybe 5500.

The carbed truck would burn a qt every 3 months. so far nothing.

The FI truck seems to like the thinner 10wt also as it burns 10w40 and 5w30 like crazy. the 10w30 seemed to stop it all together.

I don't mind checking oil levels but it would be nice to only add .5 quart per interval or none @ all.

Our prius goes 7.5k and only consumes a pint.id be more then happy with that consumption.

Zero?... won't happen. For starters, the valve stem seals our company produces are designed to bleed a little oil to lubricate the valve guides. Also, low tension piston rings allow more oil to be burned.

Certainly oil loss is kept to a minimum in modern engine design. None of the engines I take care of need topping off between oil changes. Barring unforeseen new designs, there will always be oil loss designed into engines.

My past 3 cars('12 Accord, '14 Accord, '17 Mazda6) have not had any drop on the stick during an OCI. I wished they did as I like to replenish additives. My '05 Rainier would use 1/2 quart in 10k miles.

My E450 used a quart in a 5k interval using 5w-20 but my switch to a heavy 30 grade shows little drop so far in 3k miles. I'm showing no difference in mileage since switching to an A3/B4 oil.

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
The FI truck seems to like the thinner 10wt also as it burns 10w40 and 5w30 like crazy. the 10w30 seemed to stop it all together.

What brand of oil are you using?

We have 2 vans that use no oil between changes. My wifes 2013 Dodge GC with 3.6 pentastar and 75K and my sons 2006 Chrysler T&C with 3.3 and 221K. Both get 10K oci.

It depends on the break-in. If it was run hard and the rings wore into the bore properly you'll have very little consumption. Assuming your PCV system is working correctly

Zero oil consumption would be a beautiful thing. Stem seals and rings let us down, along with high Noack #s.

Also, you could take two of the exact same engine off the production line and their oil usage:viscosity ratios would be different just because of tolerance & clearance, plus different break in & usage patterns amplinfy these differences so their is no set rule or ratio.

Experiment with different brands and viscosities until you find the oil that suits your engine best. I burn measurable amounts of grp.1/2/3 but immeasurable on the dipstick with Redline (same viscosity throughout)

If you are not burning some oil, you are not driving hard enough.
smile.gif

Nope, I use quality clearance oil, if it needs some top off, so be it.

My Sonata seems to like this Mobil 1 more than the Pennzoil Ultra though, about 1/2 the consumption, which wasn't much to begin with.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
If you are not burning some oil, you are not driving hard enough.
smile.gif

To be more correct, you're not engine braking your Honda enough
wink.gif

In 10K miles with my 4Runner and lots of desert driving the V8 burns about a half a quart as measured on the dipstick. The half quart is just an estimate meaning half way between the high and low marks. That could be a bit more, I don't know. The oil is Red Line 0w-30.

I don't think there's such a thing as no oil consumption and the dipstick is not really accurate when it comes to small measurement differences.

I have spent long hot track days at Sebring and Homestead with 300 degree oil temps and had no movement on the stick. My sig car is a noted oil burner for many folks.

I guess when i said ZERO consumption i mean near none or not 3 quarts during an interval.

I'm trying to hold everything to my Prius consumption

Truly I won't add oil unless it gets to the add mark. The Tacoma is fine. The CRV looses about .25 qrt between changes. I don't add oil to the V.

In 10K OCIs my Ford Duratech I4s never drop off the full mark. My previous Focus never did as well even at 175K. Oil used M1 0-20AFE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back