VWB vs PYB vs Castrol GTX: Synthetic content?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like VWB and Castrol GTX are starting to use synthetic blends a bit for the basic oils, is Pennzoil doing the same with PYB? (side question, would that mean Pennzoil HM is too)?

Just curious...couldn't find any more recent threads.

Thanks!

The more time I spend on this forum, the less I know about conventional vs. synthetic.
grin.gif
I've determined that it's mostly marketing.

Anyway, just dropping by to follow.
36.gif

So let's take Maxlife blend for example...that's Group II+, correct? And it's 30% "synthetic" oil IIRC. So are VWB and PYB Group II+ as well? And does that imply they have a similar amount of "synthetic" in them?

Trying to get on to PQIA's site but it's not loading for me.

People get too hung up on synthetic vs non. Unless you're running extended oci it just doesn't matter. The fuel diluting DI engines have a lot of people changing at 5k anyway when the oil itself could go to 7500-10k if it wasn't diluted.

It just doesn't matter. Particularly if it meets dexos1.

If you have a warranty you should follow the OLM which seems to have many people dumping around 7500 miles.

SN rated Merlin's Unicorn Lube, will perform just like Penzoil conventional, which is also an SN rated lube

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
SN rated Merlin's Unicorn Lube, will perform just like Penzoil conventional, which is also an SN rated lube

Does Walmart carry that?

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Man ya gotta watch what you say...
Someone doesn't know what Unicorn Lube really is.

Merlin used his Unicorn Lube to help Arthur get the sword out of the stone...

With most brands of conventional motor oil, 5w30 & 5w30 do have some GrpIII synthetic oil blended in. Less so w/ 10w30 & 10w40 etc. however they may as well, such as is suspected with the PQIA sample of PYB 10W30 that was mentioned.

Last edited:
I have postulated that it is somewhere between 10-30%. Enough to drop the volatility below the limit of 15%. Sometimes it likely is a much higher percentage like when Pennzoil 5w20 was at 6.8% for a "conventional" oil when tested by PQIA. The latest Castrol GTX Ultraclean 5w20 was around 12.6% and the PDS for the 5w30 states about the same. Which could possibly mean the percentage of group three is in the higher end of my guess. Valvoline Maxlife red bottle is at 40-50% full synthetic and it's NOACK is usually around 12% or a bit lower. So based upon that it would seem to be reasonable to hypothesize that their VWB is around 10-20% for a NOACK result of around 14%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back