M1 5w30 HM or 0w40 European

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 with 196,000 miles....No engine problems or leaks other than piston slap when cold....My question is M1 0w40 European a good choice for this high mileage truck or should I go with M1 5w30 HM...I live in Georgia so the summers get pretty hot but winters are mild with a few nights of freezing temps....I used to use German Castrol 0w30 but it's no longer available....I plan on driving this truck until the wheels fall off so I want to use the best oil to keep her going for as long as possible....I would appreciate you folks advice...As always thank you.....

I just wondered if the 0w40 European would be too thick and does it have a better add pack than 5w30 HM....I don't drive the truck hard and normally change oil and Wix Filters every 4500 to 5000 miles....I have read that the 0w40 is more like a thick 30w and since the truck doesn't have any leaks would the 0w40 European be a good choice for this high mileage motor....

The 0w40 is going to be about the same thickness at temp as the euro 0w-30.

The M1 5w30 is HTHS 3.1 as it is an ILSAC lube. The 0W40 is HTHS 3.6

Another good option is M1 HM 10W30 HTHS 3.5

Anyway, the 5W30 might gain you some MPG. The 0W40 shears to a 30 quickly, which puts you back at 0w-30.

Either is fine for GA winter

Higher miles, warm climate (GA), a vehicle that calls for a 30 weight - I'd use the 10w-30 HM. Roughly the same HTHS as the 0w-40, but more "oil" and less VII's. You don't need to make the compromise for low temperatures inherent in running a 0w-XX oil. I used this oil in my dad's Express van with the same 5.3 LM7 with typically excellent results (for the oil; I use it in a number of vehicles).

Mobil 1 5w30 is at the high end of the viscosity range for SAE 30, and Mobil 1 0w40 is at the low end of the viscosity range for SAE 40. The viscosity at 100C are 12.1 vs. 12.9 cSt. This is hardly worth worrying about.

From a more practical perspective, I switched the Volvo in my signature from the 5w30 HM to 0w40 more than two years ago. Not only is it still running at 215 K, but the fuel economy has actually improved. Go figure...

Originally Posted By: Timmer
I just wondered if the 0w40 European would be too thick and does it have a better add pack than 5w30 HM....I don't drive the truck hard and normally change oil and Wix Filters every 4500 to 5000 miles....I have read that the 0w40 is more like a thick 30w and since the truck doesn't have any leaks would the 0w40 European be a good choice for this high mileage motor....

why would the 0w-40 be too thick? As a matter of conversation what makes you wonder?

I'm a long time user of Mobil 1 and others GIII/IV oils - but the 5.3L is the most durable and oil tolerant engine I have. If 40's don't bother you - I'm running Delvac Super at only 70k - it's 4.1 HTHS ...

A friend had a 99 Silverado with 350K when sold. He used M1 5-30 at 15-18K OCIs. He only sold it because of the third trans that failed. The engine still ran very well.

Thanks everyone, I think I'll stick with what has been working and stay with M1 5w30 HM since that's what the manual calls for and I'm sure the GM engineers are a lot smarter than I am.....thanks again guys......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back