Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40 --- No Love?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this oil, Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40, in WallyWorld for $9.97 a gallon and looked it up on pqiadata and it looks really impressive. Why isn't there more info or love for this oil on bitog?

1,453 Calcium
620 Magnesium
1,020 Phophorus
1,141 Zinc
66 Boron

10.5 TBN
110c 14.89
40c 113.59
VI 136

Seems like a heck of an oil of less that $2.50 a quart.

Of course, Super Tech 15w40 looks even better.....

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
I saw this oil, Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40, in WallyWorld for $9.97 a gallon and looked it up on pqiadata and it looks really impressive. Why isn't there more info or love for this oil on bitog?

1,453 Calcium
620 Magnesium
1,020 Phophorus
1,141 Zinc
66 Boron

10.5 TBN
110c 14.89
40c 113.59
VI 136

Seems like a heck of an oil of less that $2.50 a quart.

Of course, Super Tech 15w40 looks even better.....

I picked up last gallon of this Valvoline for $6~ gallon at local truck stop near me. They now sell the black jug "all climate" stuff
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Local truck stop near me has the "all fleet" black jug stuff for like $9~ gallon. My Wal Mart doesn't have what you mention, just Conventional and Maxlife 15w40

Thought Valvoline Premium Blue was formulated for natural gas engines. When I called them a few years back for a recommendation on my v8 natural gas powered generators, Valvoline said the Blue was specifically formulated for the natural gas engines and the only Valvoline oil they would recommend for those applications.

Not sure if the additive package would be the best choice for gasoline or diesel engines.

The WW near me doesn't carry VPB, Meijer or Tractor Supply carry it but it cost a few bucks more. I used it earlier on when the truck was new but went to 5W40 due to its all season capability with cold Michigan winters making it start a lot easier and not require being plugged in all the time

Originally Posted By: SuperChevy
Thought Valvoline Premium Blue was formulated for natural gas engines. When I called them a few years back for a recommendation on my v8 natural gas powered generators, Valvoline said the Blue was specifically formulated for the natural gas engines and the only Valvoline oil they would recommend for those applications.

Not sure if the additive package would be the best choice for gasoline or diesel engines.

SC - That flies in the face of all marketing and publications they've had for VPB for well more than a decade. It's been Cx-4 rated for a LONG time now. (CI-4, CJ-4, now CK-4)
Either you heard wrong, or the person told you wrong.
Additionally, it's been paired with Cummins for a LONG time.
The Valvoline HD oils are separate from the NG oils; see here: http://hd.valvoline.com/?_ga=2.128318668.1156896956.1503656668-1351637722.1502891333

BigJohn - Why no love here? I think that's a matter of your interpretation. VPB gets plenty of respect here at BITOG, AFAIAC.

Last edited:
Wasn't VPB spec'd for cummins 12 valve engines? AFAIK anyway. Have heard good things about it, haven't heard anyone dissatisfied. And also IIRC I was on cummins forums before and it seemed a lot of people recommended it.

When I was an engineer at Cummins from 1990-95, VPB was the standard oil used for test engines in the Tech Center; 88 test cells. There were 55 gallon drums of it in every aisle of the test wing. So Cummins as a company really did love the stuff. I ran VPB Classic in my truck for a few years, doing annual oil changes only, which was commonly 18k miles.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
When I was an engineer at Cummins from 1990-95, VPB was the standard oil used for test engines in the Tech Center; 88 test cells. There were 55 gallon drums of it in every aisle of the test wing. So Cummins as a company really did love the stuff. I ran VPB Classic in my truck for a few years, doing annual oil changes only, which was commonly 18k miles.

So which oil would you run in a '17 6.7 Cummins that's due for it's first oil change? This is based on time, as the accrued miles will likely never reach the recommended OCI. This is in a dually, pulling a fairly heavy trailer.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
So which oil would you run in a '17 6.7 Cummins that's due for it's first oil change? This is based on time, as the accrued miles will likely never reach the recommended OCI. This is in a dually, pulling a fairly heavy trailer.
From the 2017 RAM Diesel Supplement:

In ambient temperatures above 0°F (-18°C), we recommend you use 15W-40 engine oil such as Mopar, Shell Rotella and Shell Rimula that meets FCA Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 engine oil category is required. Products meeting Cummins CES 20081 may also be used. The identification of these engine oils is typically located on the back of the oil container. In ambient temperatures below 0°F (-18°C), we recommend you use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such as Mopar, Shell Rotella and Shell Rimula that meets FCA Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 engine oil category is required.

CJ-4 oil is disappearing from the market which I believe is the API standard related to the Cummins CES 28001 specification (a list of oils meeting that Cummins specification can be found here which appears to include all of the majors--Chevron Delo, Mobil Delvac, and Shell Rotella).

The new Cummins specification for CK-4 is CES 20086 (a list of those oils can be found here). If it were mine I would contact Dodge and see if they have approved the use of CES 20086 oils (CK-4) for your truck and pick one from the list and run it, which for me would be Chevron Delo since it is usually the cheapest of the majors.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
From the 2017 RAM Diesel Supplement:

In ambient temperatures above 0°F (-18°C), we recommend you use 15W-40 engine oil such as Mopar, Shell Rotella and Shell Rimula that meets FCA Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 engine oil category is required. Products meeting Cummins CES 20081 may also be used. The identification of these engine oils is typically located on the back of the oil container. In ambient temperatures below 0°F (-18°C), we recommend you use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such as Mopar, Shell Rotella and Shell Rimula that meets FCA Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 engine oil category is required.

CJ-4 oil is disappearing from the market which I believe is the API standard related to the Cummins CES 28001 specification (a list of oils meeting that Cummins specification can be found here which appears to include all of the majors--Chevron Delo, Mobil Delvac, and Shell Rotella).

The new Cummins specification for CK-4 is CES 20086 (a list of those oils can be found here). If it were mine I would contact Dodge and see if they have approved the use of CES 20086 oils (CK-4) for your truck and pick one from the list and run it, which for me would be Chevron Delo since it is usually the cheapest of the majors.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I do have the Diesel supplement literature, and I'm not too worried about it. I was just curious what a former Cummins Engineer would recommend.

Shell Rotella. I use Rotella T6 to get the benefit of 5W for cold starting when I am in cold regions. The B series engine is not hard on oil. RT6 doesn't shear in my engine. You can look at my latest oil analysis in the Diesel UOA section.

I asked one of my old co-workers that still works at Cummins a few years back for an oil recommendation, and he said Rotella. That surprised me, I expected him to say VPB. I would consider running VPB Extreme 5w40, but RT6 is available everywhere, so I run that. I have run CK4 RT6 for ~50k miles since March, and it's done well so far, but I'm watching the Iron metal in the UOA, on account of the lower ZDDP level.

Last edited:

Shell Rotella. I use Rotella T6 to get the benefit of 5W for cold starting when I am in cold regions. The B series engine is not hard on oil. RT6 doesn't shear in my engine. You can look at my latest oil analysis in the Diesel UOA section.

I asked one of my old co-workers that still works at Cummins a few years back for an oil recommendation, and he said Rotella. That surprised me, I expected him to say VPB. I would consider running VPB Extreme 5w40, but RT6 is available everywhere, so I run that. I have run CK4 RT6 for ~50k miles since March, and it's done well so far, but I'm watching the Iron metal in the UOA, on account of the lower ZDDP level.

I truly appreciate the insight from someone that actually designs/builds these engines. 50k since March? I have about 3.5k since I bought the truck in March. About 2.5k of that was towing at approx. 35k GCW. It tows beautifully.

I'm only changing the oil since Ram stipulates 15k or 6 months, whichever comes first.

Last edited:

I truly appreciate the insight from someone that actually designs/builds these engines. 50k since March? I have about 3.5k since I bought the truck in March. About 2.5k of that was towing at approx. 35k GCW. It tows beautifully.

I'm only changing the oil since Ram stipulates 15k or 6 months, whichever comes first.

Yes, the truck had 322k miles when I did the oil change on March 9, and right now it has 377k.
I can hardly believe it myself.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Just saw it on sale at my local NAPA store for $19.99 on Friday.

That's still priced high, I can get it at tractor supply or Meijer cheaper. $15 at tractor supply is typical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back