Silicone grease or compound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost out of my Motorcraft XG3A dielectric and brake silicone compound so I'm looking for alternatives. The 3M silicone compound seems widely espoused but I would like to find something a little more cost effective if possible.

Looking at three possibilities.
Super Lube Silicone Dielectric Grease
Superlube Silicone lubricating grease with PTFE
Jet Lube Silicone Dielectric Compound
Super Lube also has a silicone Brake grease but that offers no cost benefit from XG3A or 3M.

I should elaborate that I need something to utilize for automotive brakes as well as weatherproofing electrical connections and lubing various rubber o-ring seals. I'm having a hard time finding any reason NOT to go with the Jet-Lube product as opposed to the others. Plus I can get a 14oz cartridge for a grease gun for the same price or less than a smaller package others. Won't help for my primary use but would allow me to use it with poly bushings on the mustang as well...

Once you determine you need silicone, the next step is viscosity. A product that tries to be a dielectric grease and brake grease too, compromises on both.

Get the 3M for brakes and bushings, and something like Permatex 22058 dielectric for electrical apps. If you use the right grease you don't waste any and decrease maintenance.

You shouldn't need to reapply 3M grease often enough to need grease jerks. That's more often needed when people use the wrong lube so they have to keep reapplying it. Maybe if this is a racing application but in that case I think you'd want to replace bushings more often.

Ironically, I could easier see someone skimping on oil when it's just going to replaced every few thousand miles than skimping on lube when it costs less, much less considering how long an 8oz container of 3M would last the average person.

If you just want me to say buy a cartridge of whatever, you can do that without anyone's approval. Those are not "bad" per se, but if you're only buying based on cost and not the viscosity relative to the application... one size fits all things, rarely do best at anything they do.

Super-Lube's silicone brake grease and their silicone lubricating grease with PTFE are the same thing, as best I can tell. Their dielectric grease is different.

So picked up a cartridge of the Jet-Lube Silicone Compound DM, which they advertise as a direct comparison to Dow 111. Loaded it up and greased the Mustang bushings (not test drive) as well as using it on the Explorer's brake job today. Seems....like....silicone grease. Actually, they note it to be thrixotropic which it does seem to be. Initially it feels thicker than the Motorcraft but after using the grease gun for a little bit it seems to come out a lot easier and felt softer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back