1997 F-350 New Moog Tie Rod Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, as usual I come with problems....

Two months ago I installed Moog tie rods and a drag link on my truck. The passenger side tie rod came with a rubber bushing/spacer in place of a normal dust boot, I suspect this is to reduce/ stop tie rod roll, this is the part number "Moog DS1071 Tie Rod End".

Just two months later, this rubber spacer is torn and blown out, and it needs to be replaced, Here is what it looks like .

I'm trying to brainstorm to figure out what to replace it with, but I'm coming up empty handed. I have no issue fabbing something up if need be. The only idea I have it to buy "The Cure", and place that on the drag link where it meets the tie rod, and put a normal dust boot on the passenger knuckle. I would swip swap spots because that is a hard plastic, and the steering does need some give.

I'm open to ideas, any and all.

You may be able to find a two piece poly lower control arm bushing with a similar O.D. and cut it to the desired thickness then drill the center hole to fit.
I would look around the energy suspension stuff at AA for some ideas. Poly will outlive rubber many times over.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Got a lathe? Buy delrin and trim to fit.

I was thinking about that but would it have any sealing ability at all? I would think its too hard.

Depending on how close a fit you make it, it might seal or it might not.

I guess the worst case scenario is buying a universal boot/gaiter and trimming/gluing it to fit.

I needed the rubber boot / cover for a Buick tie rod end , found one at NAPA . Might check with them ?

Best of luck , :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back