Would you ever put an oil filter back after you

Status
Not open for further replies.
took it off?
I took off the FL1A from the explorer to do the trans lines (they run behind it). The filter is perfectly vertical.

There was some crud on the outer edge that I took out but nothing in the oil. I put a bag over it.

The oil is close to its OCI (getting to 5K miles) and I'm thinking of putting it back. I don't like to drain cold oil.

I just did it last week. Changed my oil but didn't want to change the filter (Fram Ultra) I change every other oil change. I took it off and dumped the old oil. Wouldn't do it again, too much of a mess. Why over think it? It's got threads and a gasket, put it back on.

Last edited:
Nope. If I go through the trouble of taking it off, a new one is going on. Not worth the possibility of a gasket leak (even though it may be small).

I have done this as well. I would not do it again either. Might as well just replace the doggone thing at that point. I just leave the filter on and let it be if I use it more than once.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Nope. If I go through the trouble of taking it off, a new one is going on. Not worth the possibility of a gasket leak (even though it may be small).

01.gif

Replacing things that aren't worn out is silly, unless you're in some special situation where you feel this is your Last Chance before some Big Event.

There is no going to trouble to take one off on an Explorer. It's putting on a rubber glove for grip and 20 seconds to do. You spend more time reading my post and writing one than that. Maybe you'll need to grab a filter wrench if you made the mistake of letting someone else change the oil and over-torque the filter last time.

Last edited:
I have a beautiful Bosch Distance Plus filter I ran for less than one tank of gas and one week of miles through, that I took off and stored when my Avalon started knocking. Knock turned out to be merely the timing belt slapping the timing cover when the tensioner failed. It was going to be used as a cut open specimen but will now be used for a quick 20 minutes deSludge cycle at the end of my current oil run... maybe?

I'm in the "Terrified of Creating an Oil Leak by Reusing a Crushed, Heat Deformed Rubber Gasket" camp.

If the filter was fitted with some sort of premium O-ring, perhaps.

Guys...and gals...the filter is not going to leak. It's a simple gasket and if it was sealed when you took it off....it's going to seal when put back on. Why waste a perfectly good filter and create more oil soaked garbage than necessary.....it's "green" to not waste....lol

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Guys...and gals...the filter is not going to leak. It's a simple gasket and if it was sealed when you took it off....it's going to seal when put back on. Why waste a perfectly good filter and create more oil soaked garbage than necessary.....it's "green" to not waste....lol

What is the point of taking it off in the first place? There is no need to. If it comes off in the first place, then the oil is likely drained, and I would just replace it at that point.

People obsess about 2-3 ounces of oil left in an oil filter when an entire quart or more are left in the internals of the engine when you change the oil. It makes no sense.

If you are going to use your filter for several intervals, just leave your filter in place. You are not leaving "dirty oil" in your engine by not draining the filter. Its doing nothing, except perhaps lowering your TBN from 8 to 7.99. Wow, big difference.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: philipp10

What is the point of taking it off in the first place? There is no need to. If it comes off in the first place, then the oil is likely drained, and I would just replace it at that point.

People obsess about 2-3 ounces of oil left in an oil filter when an entire quart or more are left in the internals of the engine when you change the oil. It makes no sense.

If you are going to use your filter for several intervals, just leave your filter in place. You are not leaving "dirty oil" in your engine by not draining the filter. Its doing nothing, except perhaps lowering your TBN from 8 to 7.99. Wow, big difference.

agree. But do you really think a whole quart is left in the motor on each change?

Originally Posted By: Kira
I'm in the "Terrified of Creating an Oil Leak by Reusing a Crushed, Heat Deformed Rubber Gasket" camp.

If the filter was fitted with some sort of premium O-ring, perhaps.
Premium filters have premium O-rings! It will cost you a premium, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back