Break-in Advice in the Manual ... Italian Style !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"It is important to strain engine components during run-in, however, make sure not to overdo this."

LoL !! Define "overdo"
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Wow. What vehicle is this?

The motorcycle in my sig, Guzzi Stelvio 1200. 1151cc actually.... they rounded up. (common w/ mc engines)

I break-in all my cars & bikes pretty hard. Lots of 3/4 throttle runs to 3/4 the way to redline, then throttle fully cloed for some engine braking. Every vehicle I bought new sees 100 MPH in Mexico the 1st day of ownership. All have been strong runners that use very little oil over an OCI.

I don't believe in the slow break in period. I have seen enough people do this with vehicles that become oil users too soon and performance is definitely not the same. Run it hard and they like to be driven that way. Drive like a granny and it will want to be driven that way.

A mechanic I know used to break in motorcycles after assembly from crate.
He said they would pull onto the road and hit red line in every gear for as long as the road allowed. Bring it back to the shop. All done.
I thought he was nuts, but see this more and more...

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
A mechanic I know used to break in motorcycles after assembly from crate.
He said they would pull onto the road and hit red line in every gear for as long as the road allowed. Bring it back to the shop. All done.
I thought he was nuts, but see this more and more...

Why would he do it any other way? He is in the business of fixing and selling new motorcycles!

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Did you finally take delivery of your new bike?

There's a thread about it in this forum just a few notches down.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I break-in all my cars & bikes pretty hard. Lots of 3/4 throttle runs to 3/4 the way to redline, then throttle fully cloed for some engine braking. Every vehicle I bought new sees 100 MPH in Mexico the 1st day of ownership. All have been strong runners that use very little oil over an OCI.

That's exactly what I'm doing with the Guzzi, except no 100mph. I can get the loading done in lower gears. 9000 is redline (not bad for a pushrod air cooled v-twin), the dash has a programmable upshift light. It is defaulted to "run-in" setting from the factory which is 6500, i.e. the upshift light illuminates at 6500. BUT, an upshift light on a bike is dumb, who looks down for that... good way to loose ctrl. Eyes up and on the road, please. The bike does have nice big analog tach that is visible in lower peripheral vision, plus after getting the feel for the motor it becomes instinctive from the sound and feel as to about where you are in the rpm range anyhow.

Same here. Just finished doing my friends new Gixxer this way. Got all the way into 5th gear before running out of my comfort zone.

More power, better compression, lower oil consumption are just some of the benefits...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Same here. Just finished doing my friends new Gixxer this way. Got all the way into 5th gear before running out of my comfort zone.

More power, better compression, lower oil consumption are just some of the benefits...
5th gear? 150mph easy?

After assembling/servicing my new 2008 Suzuki DL1000 right out of the crate, I told the technician to "ride it like he stole it". He changed into riding leathers and left the dealership smoking the rear tire. He was gone for about 30 minutes and after returning to the dealership, the brake rotors smoked for about 5 minutes. Never had a single problem with the bike, and it was running like new when I sold it 3 years later.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
BUT, an upshift light on a bike is dumb, who looks down for that... good way to loose ctrl. Eyes up and on the road, please.

A good shift light is designed to be seen when your eyes are on the road - it's why racecars and racebikes all have them.

For a bike like your Moto Guzzi, not really necessary. Probably just a checklist feature they felt they had to include.

^^^ Yep, should be able to see the shift light in the peripheral vision if it's placed right and bright enough.

^^^ Yep, should be able to see the shift light in the peripheral vision if it's placed right and bright enough.

It ain't. It's a small little red icon top right of the dash that flashes. My peripheral vision doesn't seem to pick it up. This is far from a race bike anyhow, it's big, solid, and not necessarily slow but it isn't fast either. Did I say big again? Had to put the seat on the low setting, I could barely flat foot it with it set high from the dealer PDI. 6'2" w/ 34" inseam ...

Here's an aggressive break-in. The Yellow 'Busa is new.

Yeah, I know. They are not smart riding with very little protective gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back