2017 Onan QG4000-Kendall SuperD XA 15W-40-24 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first change on this gen set. The oil is actually the factory fill. It's an air cooled single cylinder engine and is not equipped with an oil filter.
Code:

Hours Hrs.

on unit on oil

24.9 24.9

Fe 27

Cr 1

Ni 0

Al 9

Cu 3

Pb 0

Sn 0

Cd 0

Ag 0

V 0

Si 9

Na 18

K 0

Ti 27

Mo 41

Sb 0

Mn 0

Li 1

B 6

Mg 861

Ca 1228

Ba 4

P 1019

Zn 1170

Fuel dil 2.2

Soot
Water
Vis 100 C 12.5

I added about a pint of Kendall as make-up oil. That accounts for the Titanium.

Last edited:
Kendall Super-Dxa is a great oil. I ran it in my PSD with good results and would do it again anytime. Thanks for the UOA.

Originally Posted By: Rand
is it normal to use 16oz in 25 hours on a new engine?

It used about 8 ounces. I have no idea of what's considered normal use but Onan does tell you that switching to 30 wt. will give you minimal consumption. I have a couple of gallons of 15W-40 left over from my Duramax so I will continue to use it.

Thanks for posting. Wear metals look good despite the fuel thinning it a bit.

I have the same gen set in my motorhome with roughly the same amount of hours on it.

Are you planning to stick with the 25 hour intervals or just did a shorter run because new? I know onan recommends 50 hour intervals.

I'll probably run it no longer than 50-75 hours this time and see what I've got. It's a difficult call because it doesn't get much use. OTOH, arbitrarily changing it once a year seems like a waste. The annual oil change issue has been re-hashed ad nauseum here at BITOG. The most logical answer for justifying it is the life of the oil filter can in salt environments. No filter=no problem.
If I see moisture in the UOA or I get bored I'll shorten the drain interval. At a quart and a half I have enough oil on hand for the next 10 changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back