Spare truck tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
the spare on my T4R hangs by a single cable, nothing else, if that cable breaks it's on the road.. is this normal?

Yes. Living in Wisconsin may be wise to check it for rust every year or two.

Last edited:
My truck is the same. Drop it annually and use spray white lithium.
Mine has seized twice. Never broke. Had to cut off with bolt cutters one year.

Yup, cycle it at least once a year. Also if there is a locking lugnut type thing on there make sure you have the key. Lost count of how many people have lost the key for the spare tire and we have to cut the cable to get the spare tire out. Of course they also have a flat tire when this is all happening.

seem like there could be issues with that system...must be reliable if they don't regulate it like many other vehicle items.

...here's a regulation I just discovered being on the state line often out to dinner and such...wow! I had the hitch in the receiver quite oftern now that gets you pulled over and cited..WTH

Bill HB 5610 “to prohibit a trailer hitch or receiver to protrude from the back of a vehicle unless the vehicle (car or pickup) is towing a trailer.”

try this again..

hitch law

Last edited:
was in there rust proofing and the system all worked, looked to be plastic crank and stainless cable although <10% freyed..just seems like a back up chain for safety might be prudent...lol...I can imagine what some of the junk tool'n down the road has in this department...I'm keeping a good distance knowing this.

It's rarely the cable itself that fails if the rest of the system is kept in good condition. Be sure to operate and lube/weatherize the winch portion of it to keep it usable when you really need it.

Originally Posted By: dblshock

Bill HB 5610 “to prohibit a trailer hitch or receiver to protrude from the back of a vehicle unless the vehicle (car or pickup) is towing a trailer.”

hitch law

Another dumb, almost completely un-enforceable law.

That's like..... every single truck in Texas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back