Castrol Edge 5w20 - 4,000mi - 2014 Mazda 3 - 2.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle:
2014 Mazda 3 Hatchback i Sport w/ tech package & 6 speed manual trans.

Engine:
2.0L Skyactiv DI 4 banger.

Engine oil capacity:
4.5qts

Oil type:
Castrol Edge 5w20 with Ti

Oil additives:
None

Gas Additives:
Redline's Fuel System Cleaner in small maintenance doses every 4-5 tank fulls (just for the heck of it)

Make up oil added:
None

Oil filter:
Mazda OEM made by Toyo Roki in Japan

Air filter:
Performance Short Ram Intake with cone filter with a good 40k miles on it.

USE: city / highway @ 70/30. The car gets driven like a race car even though it's designed to be an ECO car. I constantly bury the GO pedal into the All Season floor mat.

Car also has a custom exhaust and is dyno tuned for 93 octane with a higher rev limit.

Been two years since last UOA. Man time flies quick!

Flexible Maintenance Oil Life was showing 40% left.

Oh definitely. The Oil Life was showing 40% left. I can easily do 7,500mi by running it to 5% Oil Life.

The engine is ran very hard. Me and wifey ask the 2.0L to deliver all 155hp was too much. Hahaha.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Oh definitely. The Oil Life was showing 40% left. I can easily do 7,500mi by running it to 5% Oil Life.

The engine is ran very hard. Me and wifey ask the 2.0L to deliver all 155hp was too much. Hahaha.

How much power does the car make with the tune?

Oil does look good Artem. Castrol's new formula seems to be quite good.

Ohh and imagine that car going 140-150 mph
smile.gif
holy cow! That would be a hoot nanny.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

How much power does the car make with the tune?

With Better intake and exhaust plus tune for 93 octane 25hp and 20tq is unlocked. The 2.0L now makes what the 2.5L does stock.., haha about 180hp 170tq. Mid range gained over 30 foot pounds!!! Engine pulls very strong and loves to rev.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Oil does look good Artem. Castrol's new formula seems to be quite good.

Ohh and imagine that car going 140-150 mph
smile.gif
holy cow! That would be a hoot nanny.

She gets up to a buck thirty with ease. One of my tires has an internal nail patch, so I don't push the tires to the limit. Once I get new rubber, I plan to explore the top speed on the current setup (on a closed course, of course)
27.gif

130 with ease.... That's pretty cool. I like the Mazda 3 and the Mazda 6s. Very nice looking cars that ride well. I had a V6 Mazda six that was a rental and I enjoyed driving that car.

You don't seem to have any fuel dilution issues which seem common on the Skyactive engine (although it doesn't seem to hurt anything). Are you running premium gas?

PS: I guess this UOA proves that 5w20 is fine in an 0w20 spec'd engine (at least in Florida)..

Very good UOA.

Originally Posted By: pbm
You don't seem to have any fuel dilution issues which seem common on the Skyactive engine (although it doesn't seem to hurt anything). Are you running premium gas?

PS: I guess this UOA proves that 5w20 is fine in an 0w20 spec'd engine (at least in Florida)..

Very good UOA.

I've ran 0w30 in it before. Engine didn't seem to notice. Ran great.

I did a custom blend of 0w20 and 0w40 @ 50/50 ratio.

No fuel dilution. Yes I run Premium and the ECU is tuned to make full use of the octane.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
How is your oil consumption in that car? By 4K miles my 2.5 has used .75 of a quart of oil.

Zero consumption. Oil level stays FULL start to finish. I'm a happy driver.

I have the same car only it's a 2015/sedan. Never did a UOA. I have 48k miles on it now. All the 3's I've had never consumed oil - 2007, 2013 and the 2015.

Nice UOA. It's one of those engines that it really doesn't matter what oil you use. I'm currently using M1 AP 0w20 but should probably consider another oil for my next change. I drive
I only run 89 Shell/Citgo/BP gas.

Very good UOA.

No fuel dilution. Yes I run Premium and the ECU is tuned to make full use of the octane.

I have a CX5 with the 2.0L. Have you used Castrol Edge as the oil (with varying weights) all 50k or did you use another brand?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buster
I have the same car only it's a 2015/sedan. Never did a UOA. I have 48k miles on it now. All the 3's I've had never consumed oil - 2007, 2013 and the 2015.

Nice UOA. It's one of those engines that it really doesn't matter what oil you use. I'm currently using M1 AP 0w20 but should probably consider another oil for my next change. I drive
I only run 89 Shell/Citgo/BP gas.

89 is better then regular but I personally choose to run premium. Mazda designed this engine on Japan's 95+ octane for their 14:1 compression ratio but detuned the USA model to 13:1 in order to be able to safely run on regular. I can't say for sure if the ECU can adequately adjust for premium to really get a benefit but I'd love to think that Mazda considered this and doing so unlocks some extra power, for example.

I fealt the biggest difference in how the engine generated power right after Uploading new ECU calibrations. The car got much more responsive and a strong midrange pull was instantly fealt. Tires losing traction during WOT where they didn't before was also a confirmation of extra juice. I highly recommend it. Best $560 bucks I spent on the car by far since I get to enjoy improved performance daily. Plus you can sell the tuning kit if you decide to sell the car or sell it as is and adjust your asking price by $500. That's the way I look at it.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Good to see fuel dilution on the SkyAct DI engine nice and low. Ed

Agreed. I was worried about that when I first bought the car but realized I didn't have any problems with my driving style (car gets nice and HOT during spirited driving)

I've been running Premium fuel since the second fill up though.

Originally Posted By: 2002 Maxima SE

Very good UOA.

I have a CX5 with the 2.0L. Have you used Castrol Edge as the oil (with varying weights) all 50k or did you use another brand?

I've ran Mobil 1 - 0w30, Mobil 1 - 0w20 blended with M1 0w40 @ 50/50 to achieve 0w30, Mazda's OEM 0w20 with Moly, and now Castrol because I have a ton of it from last year's oil sales.

I read several accounts of people running premium fuel and not experiencing fuel dilution on their Mazda SkyActiv engines. That Castrol Edge Black is a top notch oil. You gotta love that slug of boron they have in it.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I read several accounts of people running premium fuel and not experiencing fuel dilution on their Mazda SkyActiv engines. That Castrol Edge Black is a top notch oil. You gotta love that slug of boron they have in it.

I've also seen this pop up before. My guess is, since this engine was originally designed to be 14:1 compression ratio in Japan, which has like 96 octane or something along those lines, the engine was detuned to 13:1 compression for USA models, in order to safely run 87 octane. I assume that by running Premium, the ECU takes advantage of this and perhaps has a better burn cycle and so less fuel gets in the oil.

I also thrash the engine HARD daily in FL weather, so even if fuel gets in, it evaporated by the end of the drive from high heat of frequent WOT redline pulls. Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back