Solid State Hard Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! You'll be amazed how fast boot and load times will be. An SSD was the single greatest upgrade I've ever done. Sandisk is a solid choice too.

If this is for a desktop, get a smaller capacity to save money. Use the money saved to buy a huge storage hard drive.

C: SSD for system
D: HDD for stuff...(movies, pictures, songs, etc.)

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Yes! You'll be amazed how fast boot and load times will be. An SSD was the single greatest upgrade I've ever done. Sandisk is a solid choice too.

+1

Originally Posted By: GemStater
I've got a desktop computer in need of a new hard drive and was considering this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OBRFFAS/_en...DYRIXZ&th=1

Are Solid State Hard Drives worth the extra money?

Is the Samsung EVO a good buy or is there something else I should be considering?

Thanks!

It's more a loss of capacity than extra money. You can get one that performs great compared to any HDD for under $100. However if your system is too old to have an SATA 6Gb controller, that will cost you a lot in sustained throughput, though you'd still have great low latency. It would still be significantly faster in everyday use than any HDD.

Samsung is one of the most reliable SSD manufacturers. I agree few people need 1T. You can use your old HDD or a new spinny HDD for bulky files.
Western digital is a good Spinny HDD brand and 1T can be had for $50.

Id say 240G SDD and 1T spinny should suit anyone. Assuming SATA ports.

SSD is the best upgrade a typical consumer can find for the money. If you are using mechanical HDD you should upgrade that instead of buying a whole new PC.

Imagine that 12ms mechanical latency of waiting for the head to move to the track you want to access and another 5ms for the sector to rotate to under the head got eliminated instantly, and replaced with 100us of wait electronic access time. How much of a performance improvement is that?

I have had an 850 evo in my laptop for a few years now. It is by far the best thing i have ever done to this computer. I appreciate its speed with every click of the mouse. Boot times, internet loading times, opening files and everything else is just so much faster. Its really like daily driving a super car vs a corolla.

Make sure you limit writing to the ssd, as they burn sectors up with multiple write sessions. They are amazing performers, just like a crack head, and same as such will crash and burn . Don't store any valuable data to it.

Satas are compatable. You can plug a 6gig ssd into a 3gig sata port. You get some performance hit but not bad. You canget a sata iii (6gb/sec) pcie board but i dont think its worth the cost/effort.

size is kinda overkill.

if your 500GB is fine now get a 500GB SSD and save money.

if you need space for video or music you can always use another drive for that.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Make sure you limit writing to the ssd, as they burn sectors up with multiple write sessions. They are amazing performers, just like a crack head, and same as such will crash and burn . Don't store any valuable data to it.

On the contrary I put more valuable data on SSDs than HDDs. Write cycle wearout is not very significant for desktop computing uses versus a server database. They have had wear algorithms for a long time and like a HDD, with an SSD it will identify a bad sector and remap it without severe consequences to the rest of the volume but unlike a HDD, it won't have a mechanical or controller failure that can wipe out everything at once with little to no warning.

Obviously this ignores that either way, redundancy data backups are key. Your data isn't important if you don't have an offline backup of it, but if I had to Bet My Life on a major brand SSD or HDD for avoiding data loss from failure, I'd go with an SSD. Since I don't have to make that bet, the distinction is irrelevant because I have the offline backup of valuable data.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
size is kinda overkill.

if your 500GB is fine now get a 500GB SSD and save money.

if you need space for video or music you can always use another drive for that.

Reading through this thread, I like the idea of a 250GB SSD for $90 and then a 1TB HDD for $50. That's what I might go for but still open to ideas.

I personally run a 1TB Evo in my main laptop. I've fitted enough SSDs that going back to spinners for a main/boot drive is painful. When I have folks approach me for upgrade advice, it's usually one of the first things I steer them to.

Not too long ago, I did a 2011 iMac for a co-worker. He said it had become "unuseable" due to being so slow. I tossed a 1TB Evo in it also, and he says it's like having a new computer. That's not an uncommon reaction. Granted the reaction is amplified by the fact that many drives I get called to replace are spinners that are on their way out, but still even going from a high end 7200rpm drive to a low end SSD will make a difference.

I'm in the process of "building" a new Mac Pro(5,1, 2010 but in the process of going up to mid-2012 specs) for myself. I manage to get my hands on a couple of OEM Apple PCIe SSDs(one from a MacBook Air, one from a "trash can" Mac Pro). With a $10 card, they become a bootable drive in the old tower Mac Pros and the better ones are ludicrously fast. I'm getting 800mb/s read and write from the one out of the "trash can."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back