Are all OCoDs created equal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking through the orange cans o' death at a local tractor supply. Many were on clearance. I found a PH7575 to use on my new-found briggs powered mower. They had two so i examined both. One ,in older faded packaging, was noticeably heavier and made in india, the other was lighter, more recent stock and mexican made. The ph8170's which also fits, were also made in india, old stock anc felt heavy but priced about $6.75 as opposed to $3.75 for the 7575.
Are some built better than others?

Fram just redesigned the orange can. The very new ones now have a silicone ADBV

Also, for some low-volume applications, Fram doesn't actually make it themselves; they rebox from someone else.

I forgot to mention the filters I referenced to have no textured grip ends and a nice shrink wrap on the base. Im debating on going back to get the two remaining ph8170s. I've read they might be heavier duty filters specificly for small engine applications.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Also, for some low-volume applications, Fram doesn't actually make it themselves; they rebox from someone else.

The AJ-V8 applications (Lincoln LS, Jag etc) have a Fram that is built differently and definitely was not like a regular Fram. Apart from a heavy gauge can and no grip paint, it also had a white filter media.

... Also, for some low-volume applications, Fram doesn't actually make it themselves; they rebox from someone else.
That could be true of my Chinese TG10358 cartidge, which fits various recent Toyota 1.8L models that are not exactly "low-volume." The box states "Made for Fram ... ." In photos, the equivalent Mobil1 filter appears to be of extremely similar design, including the font and layout of the label neatly printed directly on one end cap---although the Mobil end caps are bright blue instead of bright orange plastic. Thus, I suspect Mobil buys from the same Chinese supplier. Meanwhile the more expensive and less expensive Frams for the same Toyotas say they're made in USA.

Originally Posted By: CR94
... Also, for some low-volume applications, Fram doesn't actually make it themselves; they rebox from someone else.
That could be true of my Chinese TG10358 cartidge, which fits various recent Toyota 1.8L models that are not exactly "low-volume."

Outsourcing manufacturing seems to be more common for cartridge filters, regardless of the brand.

Sometimes there are patent issues where they even have to source from the OE supplier or make design changes that are less than ideal. That is an issue on the 6L Ford Powerstroke diesels.

Another issue on cartridge filters is that sometimes it may not be possible for an aftermarket supplier to make that design with their equipment, and it may just not make economic sense to invest in new machinery for just a few filter part numbers. There are very few changes an aftermarket supplier can make on a cartridge filter's design without causing problems.

Spin-on filters don't have these issues... they just need to make sure it fits and has the correct bypass valve (and ADBV where required). The actual design inside the can offers aftermarket manufacturers a lot more flexibility. I believe there are a few oddball exceptions, but not nearly to the extent we see with cartridge filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back