Gasoline Into Diesel Truck - Oops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subject vehicle is a 1999 Freightliner FL70 with the Cummins ISB, equipped with a VP44 distributor injection pump. Driver calls me yesterday evening, he is at a gas station and pumped in 2 litres of gasoline into the tank and stopped when he noticed his error. Tank has approximately 60 litres of diesel in it.

Since gasoline is lighter than diesel , I figured the gasoline would mostly stay on top and not get picked up by the transfer pump. I told him to carefully drive back to home base which was about a mile away. I went and pumped out 18 litres of fuel from the top of the tank after the truck had been sitting for about two hours, added about 3 litres of TCW3 oil for lubricity and told the driver to fill up before using the truck again and called it a day.

The only thing I could have done better would have been to have gone directly to the gas station and pumped out some fuel from the top (or all of the fuel). But it was rush hour and it would have taken me an hour to get to the gas station and that busy gas station in the middle of the city would not appreciate a big truck being parked there for an hour plus.

So far the truck has not exhibited any symptoms from having been subjected to this abuse.

Anything else I could have done?

I wouldn't have done anything to it besides fill it up the rest of the way with diesel.

I think a little gasoline in a diesel engine is fine but not vice versa. I've seen Wold War II documentary about the Russian troops putting vodka in the diesel fuel tank to help the engine starts easier. I think gasoline will have the similar effect.

Diesel is an oil and lubricates the insides of the injection pump. Gasoline does not and large amounts will certainly damage the pump.

On the latest diesels, filling up with gasoline can result in a $20000 bill because so many expensive components have to be replaced

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I wouldn't have done anything to it besides fill it up the rest of the way with diesel.

X2 the vp-44 wouldnt have even noticed.

my wife FILLED my pickup truck up with gas. And it was nearly empty, because she waits until it fuel range says 0 miles til empty. She called me before starting it. I told her to start it and drive it away from the pumps and find a place to park. I went and pumped out 32 or so gallons of gas and filled it up with diesel. Truck has common rail high psi injection.

That is what TCW3 oil is - 2 stroke oil. I have been using 2 stroke oil in this truck since new and still have the original injectors at 15000 hours.

Originally Posted By: George7941
Diesel is an oil and lubricates the insides of the injection pump. Gasoline does not and large amounts will certainly damage the pump.

On the latest diesels, filling up with gasoline can result in a $20000 bill because so many expensive components have to be replaced
2 liters of gasoline in a 75 gallon tank is almost nothing.

The $20000 scenario is with the latest pickups where the tank is filled with gasoline and the truck driven to failure. The CRD high pressure pump and injectors are very expensive.

Originally Posted By: newbe46
I think a little gasoline in a diesel engine is fine but not vice versa. I've seen Wold War II documentary about the Russian troops putting vodka in the diesel fuel tank to help the engine starts easier. I think gasoline will have the similar effect.

I have heard just the opposite!

Last edited:
We've handled quite a bit of "gas in diesel" scenarios.

Even when run on a mix to shutdown, we just pump the tank empty and start. Never an issue.

Gas and diesel do mix very well.

Yes....that worked for russian T34...up to the german golf mk.2 with 1.6D engine....

I would not play that with "modern" and especially modern diesels

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The gas will blend with the diesel. It wont float as you suggested

This is correct. The fuels will mix as soon as there's any agitation from driving, even just leaving the pump. I would also have thrown in some 2-stroke oil. You're fine.

2 liters of gasoline in 60 liters of diesel wouldn't cause any problems. The driver could have just filled the rest of the way up with diesel and gone about his business. Of course adding PowerService or Stanadyne diesel fuel conditioners would help the lubricity, but that should be a regular thing, every couple of months. The VP44 is a sensitive pump, and does suffer from rotor seizures, so lubrication is important.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: George7941

2 liters of gasoline in a 75 gallon tank is almost nothing.

No its what they call winter diesel!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back