M1 0W40 in a Civic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently got rid of the mercedes and now have at least 5 gallons of M1 0W40 laying around.

Was wondering, can I use them in any of my Civics, calling for 5W20 or 0W20?

If so, does anyone know a link for any OCI analysis report? Thanks for all the input and help.

P.S: Would it cause any harm or no issues?

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Sure. Blend it so its a little thinner.

Blend it with 0W20 or 5W20?

If VVT no, VTEC yes. VVT & VTEC NO.

Sounds too tic toe ...

Most hydraulic VVT needs a viscosity sweet spot not far from OE spec oil grade.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
It's a 2006 Civic EX, 2003 Civic LX and 2008 Civic LX, all with AT.

Europeans, Russians were running 5W-40 in those since new.

You can use it straight. No problem. It basically a 30 weight oil anyhow.

If you want to mix it with a M1 20 weight go ahead. I'd mix in M1 5w20 HM....

It's a 2006 Civic EX, 2003 Civic LX and 2008 Civic LX, all with AT.

No problems at all. I'd use it in the warmer months and 0W-20 in the cold...

P.S: Would it cause any harm or no issues?

Possibly a slight hit on fuel economy due to high HT/HS viscosity, but otherwise no harm, IMO.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Sure. Blend it so its a little thinner.

Blend it with 0W20 or 5W20?

You can technically mix M1 0w-40 and the 20/30 grades but they have completely different add packages. The M1 0w-40 has very high calcium (2800-3000 ppm)/no magnesium. The lower grades are very low calcium (1160 ppm) (about 40% of 0w-40) and strong magnesium (700 ppm). If anything, I'd be more comfortable mixing the M1 0w-40 with other high calcium/no mg oils like PP, QSUD, and Castrol Edge 20/30 grades. Though in the end, your engine just might not care.

You'll never be able to tell a difference in those Honda engines. I have three and they get whatever is in the stash at the time. I've never ran a XX-40 in them but if that's what I had, I wouldn't hesitate.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Sounds too tic toe ...

These engines in other parts of the world spec 0w30 or 0w40 with those systems, I guess those systems don't work properly and yes its the same engine. I wish people would stop spinning this absolute falsehood, these engines were not designed to run on xw20 they were designed to run on a wide range of viscosities and can run on xw20 for fuel economy reasons, there is no "sweet spot" in fact many Honda xw20 engines with these systems eg J35 ivtec/VCM show remarkably good UOA's on 0w40.

OP run the 0w40 and forget it, its fine.

After confirmation from many senior and well respected members on the forum, I am all set to use 0W40, thanks all
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav

Sounds too tic toe ...

These engines in other parts of the world spec 0w30 or 0w40 with those systems, I guess those systems don't work properly and yes its the same engine. I wish people would stop spinning this absolute falsehood, these engines were not designed to run on xw20 they were designed to run on a wide range of viscosities and can run on xw20 for fuel economy reasons, there is no "sweet spot" in fact many Honda xw20 engines with these systems eg J35 ivtec/VCM show remarkably good UOA's on 0w40.

Not a falsehood. VVT cam phasing depends on oils viscosity. The Toyota Ive had will retard timing with more viscous oil. Talk to many who have run higher vis oils and hear their responses. Slow, sluggish, lazy, mired.

But I wish folks here would TRY stuff and make their own decisions or are they all numb?

- Ken NIASE Master* & BSME

* Yeah, that was loooong ago
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav

Sounds too tic toe ...

Not a falsehood. VVT cam phasing depends on oils viscosity. The Toyota Ive had will retard timing with more viscous oil. Talk to many who have run higher vis oils and hear their responses. Slow, sluggish, lazy, mired.

But I wish folks here would TRY stuff and make their own decisions or are they all numb?

- Ken NIASE Master* & BSME

* Yeah, that was loooong ago
smile.gif

My 06 Civic Si which has VTEC and Honda's version of VVT, which they call iVTEC is perfectly happy with 0W40.

Sounds too tic toe ...

That's not the case for Hondas. All Hondas run 40 grade oil globally (except North America). Heck, people even use 50 or 60 weight on track/autox.

Unlike BMW's VANOS, Honda's VTC (not VTEC) is bulletproof and not picky on oil, as long as you change the oil in a timely manner.

@OP: If you already have 0w40, use it. You won't feel a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back