White paint coming off

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't clean anything with this white paint because it washes off with things like Windex, etc. What is the correct procedure?

I know exactly what you're talking about. It really is annoying.

You shouldn't be using Windex at all inside a car interior. It's way too harsh. I've found that ArmorAll interior cleaners are also harsh and get rid of those white markings like nobody's business. Never use ArmorAll interior cleaners (like the ones they sell with the wipes). 70% isopropyl alcohol will kill it too.

What I use and find that doesn't get rid of the white markings is Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer. Comes in a spray bottle. MSDS claims it's about 5% isopropyl with a bunch of water and some UV protectors and other chemicals. It's what I use to clean the interior surfaces and it's very gentle, been using it for years and it hasn't damaged any surface. Doesn't "craze" clear plastic either and has enough lubricity to prevent scratches.

Also don't use paper towels, use something like microfiber to be more gentle and don't rub hard or put any pressure on it, just lightly pass over it with a microfiber loaded with the quick interior detailer.

I use the QID for all surfaces and clear plastics and Stoner's Invisible Glass for interior glass. Car always looks spotless.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I can't clean anything with this white paint because it washes off with things like Windex, etc. What is the correct procedure?

Replace switch/vehicle whichever fails first.
21.gif

A few things come to mind, Surf City Dash Away, Woolite and warm water, etc. Use with a soft mf towel and gently wipe.

Even some warm water and a mf utility towel should do the trick.

Last edited:
Ive had same experience regardless of what I use. My buttons are all faded away... im thinking a soft towel with a bit of soapy water and not rubbing on the white part at all is the only solution. Or mild rub with just water.

Try Adams Polishes Interior Detail Spray. Its very mild and "SHOULD" not effect anything of painted stuff like that. It never has for me.

You could try using Meguiar's APC, I think diluted down to 4:1 may be strong enough to clean and not harm anything. I haven't used it in a while, so I can't remember. Something else you can try if the interior surface isn't too bad is Meguiar's Quik Wax; just spray onto a MF towel, then wipe the surface. I finally tried this and was satisfied with the results. It cleans, leaves some UV protection and it doesn't leave the surface shiny or greasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back