which transmission cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might not want to go too big...
Had a Hayden 678 or 677 not 100% sure on an 07' cts 3.6l.
Would take a few minutes for it to heat up as the transmission was a bit sluggish initially.
Say first 10 minutes maybe.

Maybe someone can give their opinion on size.

Originally Posted By: TX_1821
Might not want to go too big...

I'm really not sure that's possible.........

Haydens have served me well, never tried derale.

I very recently installed a GM trans cooler on my 09 Suburban. It seems small and I was actually considering buying a larger one. I was pressed for time and figured the small one was better than none. I was about to take a big trip.
I was dumbfounded at how well this thing cools and how simple it was to install. In Florida, in bumper to bumper traffic in 99 degree temps, trans temp was 191.
It's usually down around 145-148 buzzin' around Long Island in 78 degree temps.
Cooler and lines was 100 bucks.

I put an enormous one on my Taurus. It caused the torque converter to never lock up on cold days. It cooled the transmission so well that it never got up to the temperature that the computer would lock the torque converter

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I put an enormous one on my Taurus. It caused the torque converter to never lock up on cold days. It cooled the transmission so well that it never got up to the temperature that the computer would lock the torque converter
I had one on my '97 Taurus SHO that was from the earlier SHOs. Big tank style. Best AT cooler I ever had. It too would cool too much in the winter until I adjusted the TC lockup temp down to under 150F. Still I would cover it with some cardboard in the winter.

Try to get a trany cooler with a built in bypass thermostat. It bypasses the trany cooler when the trany fluid is not up to a minimum operating temperature. This allows the trany fluid to get to a pre-determined minimum temperature on cold days before the additional cooling kicks in. Also you probably want to still run the trany fluid through the radiator cooling heat exchanger so the hot coolant in the radiator heats up the trany fluid on cold days.

Last edited:
I just bought the Hayden 679 for my explorer. The Ford OEM ranger/Explorer cooler is a bit shorter but thicker, so in essence the same.

There is a guy selling them for 38 on ebay, he sold tons of them. Don't know if I can post sales links, but it shouldn't be hard to find.

A local trans guy said unless you live in siberia you can't go wrong with that cooler. He said it goes on every rebuild, or the size down if it can't fit.

Last edited:
This is what went on an Explorer or Ranger from the factory with a tow package. Note the Hayden 679 is 9 inches of radiator with .75 core. The 678 is the same height but remember it is thinner.
s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Would i be better to let the trans-fluid go to the radiator first to drop initial heat off, then to the auxiliary cooler? or plumb the cooler without the radiator in the loop at all?

Some will say the radiator will heat the fluid up in the winter but what is the temp on the cold side of the radiator in winter?

I just bypassed the radiator when I put in a cooler. Simpler and cleaned up the engine compartment a bit.

Thanks, i was wondering which way would shed more heat, I'm thinking about leaving the rad in the circuit.

Fluid cools better than air so use both - That's what OEM's do - TruCool LPD will bypass when the fluid is cold/thick ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back