Automotive Semantics

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of us who want our words to be precise.

- RPM is plural, so you do not need to say "RPMs". (RPM = Revolutions Per Minute)

- All engines are motors, but not all motors are engines

What other semantics examples do you guys have?

Is it antifreeze or coolant?

Freon or refrigerant

Rims or wheels or hubs

Boats and RVs use antifreeze for winterizing but it cannot be used as coolant.

Coolant could be used for winterizing if its non-toxic, which is normally not the case.

OE = Original Equipment. I.E., whatever came on the car in the first place.

Genuine = Manufacturer-branded replacement parts or fluids. Guaranteed to be within the car manufacturer's spec and backed by the car manufacturer's warranty.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. I.E., made by the people who make the OE part. Might or might not be within OE tolerances; doesn't carry the same warranty; etc.

OE and Genuine are basically the same in practice, but OEM is a different animal.

Rebuilt vs remanufactured? Seems there is a difference when it comes to long & short blocks.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

- RPM is plural, so you do not need to say "RPMs". (RPM = Revolutions Per Minute)

If it's acceptable to use RBIs in baseball, RPMs gets the same exception in my book.

Sometimes being right (or wrong) just isnt enough to sway others' usage of a word or term. This is one of those cases...as is D. B. Cooper (Dan Cooper was actually the hijacker name; D.B. Cooper was a passenger wrongly thought to be the hijacker at first), forte (pronounced 4rt, not 4tay; but incorrect way has won out over time), and and now RPM(s) can be added to the list as well.

A revolution (from the Latin revolutio, "a turn around") is a fundamental change in political power or organizational structures that takes place in a relatively short period of time when the population rises up in revolt against the current authorities.

Wheel - Rim and tire together.
Rim - part that attaches to the hub
Tire - the rubber part
Hub - that part that the rim attaches to.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
For the love of god, just don't call them "breaks".

But what if my breaks don't work and I run into something with my bumber, and it then brakes it?

But what if my breaks don't work and I run into something with my bumber, and it then brakes it? [/quote]

LOL!

My daughter "Brake" a wooden board!

My wife takes long "brakes"

I had to change my "breaks" because of pedal to the metal feeling/rusty pins....

The search engine I used to get to this site is a motor?.
smile.gif

Lot of this weird stuff come from "layperson" forum members "making up" acronyms and names NOT typ used by professionals/ tradespersons.

I may be old but I don't like forums calling a 'MIL' a 'CEL'.

I don't like pre- cat either.

The front cat is the main CAT when it has lambda control around it!

I am O.k. with Kerbs and tyres and wings and boots and rpm counters and petrol with close relatives coming from the Empire years ago
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: supton
Rebuilt vs remanufactured? Seems there is a difference when it comes to long & short blocks.

I have read there is a difference in transmissions , also .

Originally Posted By: blupupher

But what if my breaks don't work and I run into something with my bumber, and it then brakes it?

lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back