Cheap Easy Soft Jaws for Vise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using 1 inch by 1/16 aluminum angle for many years on my vise, and it grips much better than the steel jaws with no damage to the piece you're clamping on. I only need to replace them every few years and always have a couple scrap pieces of aluminum angle around anyway. Just cut to length, tap it to form around the top of the vise, and hold them with duct tape, and you can flip them back if needed.

Last edited:
Been doing that without the duct tape innovation. The duct tape also reminds one to NOT bang on that part of the vise, and gives a little cushion if you miss.

I like it. Thanks for the tip!

I've made some like that out of copper pipe, split down the middle to form a sheet. The duct tape is a good addition, too. I use magnetic "tape" that goes onto magnetic white boards glued to the back end of the jaw liner. Those are much prettier than mine, hammer formed over the vise jaws.

Originally Posted By: Traction
I've been using 1 inch by 1/16 aluminum angle for many years on my vise, and it grips much better than the steel jaws with no damage to the piece you're clamping on. I only need to replace them every few years and always have a couple scrap pieces of aluminum angle around anyway. Just cut to length, tap it to form around the top of the vise, and hold them with duct tape, and you can flip them back if needed.

If you guys haven't tried this, your missing out. I do not use the steel jaws for anything but maybe bending. The aluminum grips much tighter, with less pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back