WIX 1348 age failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a 1987 Toyota 2WD half-ton pickup with 147K on it. 22R carburated. Windshield sticker said last OC was 2/16 15W40 unknown type. I found several holes in the media. I attribute to OCI neglect and the fact that there is evidence the truck sat idle for several years. Very happy with my purchase. No frame rust, recent clutch and brakes and other items. Love tinkering with it and changing all her fluids. I plan on using all Supertech and Smitty fluids when possible, and NAPA silver filters. I changed the diff fluid today with Supertech 80-90 conventional and plan on doing the trans soon with the same. Diff fluid came out very clean, probably changed within the last 30K mi. Oil was Supertech conventional 10W-30 AND 21516 NAPA filter and some MMO for cleaning. Will refill with Supertech conventional 10W-40 and same filter for the winter.

Last edited:
You will absolutely want to refrain from putting in any GL-5 gear oil in your manual transmission. Super Tech or any other brand. The Toyota manual transmission REALLY REALLY needs a GL-4 to shift properly. I personally use Red Line MT-90 but any GL-4 will do. It's much more difficult to find than GL-5 but its absolutely worth it. Nice truck. I have an 86 4x4 and 2 87 4Runner's with the 22R/RE engine.

those 22R engines are bulletproof. My dad put 300K miles on his 87 before retiring it to feed and seed duty.

that's not a filter age failure... if i'm seeing that right, that filter was made just before Halloween last year.
wix uses a plain date code. so 102716 is... October 27, 2016...

Not sure what caused the element to twist like this but i see it a lot on my ecotec during the winter months. Always wondered if it was due to thick oil at startup. Op is using 15w40 wonder if maybe thats the reason? Sure would like to know what causes this as its very disconcerting when it happens.

That brings back memories. My first brand new vehicle was a 1986 Toyota PU with the 22R also. Great truck and regretted it when I traded it in for then new 1988 Dodge Dakota.

That is a good looking specimen.

Yes GL5 is OK for the rear. I have SuperTech in my 92 rear right now, and it's doing just fine.

GL4 only in the trans! I had to go cheap at the time, so I used Sta-Lube 85W-90 GL4 available at my local NAPA. I bought a gallon on sale for $27. Going to use Redline MT-90 before Winter comes. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SLRSL24239

I bought a 92 Toyota pickup 2wd with manual 5 speed earlier this year. Keep a check on the coolant level. If it slowly disappears, and it's not running hot, and it's not leaking it is going out the tail pipe. I had to change head gasket, and while I was in there I went ahead, and installed a new timing kit too plus other new parts. Also, installed a new complete cylinder head, because the cost of rebuilding a used head equals cost of new head.

I have that same Wix oil filter waiting to be used. I have been using Motorcraft 910S, and I have not seen any problems with them when I cut them open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back