air tool blew an oring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was using my air die grinder when I noticed a little bit of air coming out of the handle part where there is a flathead adjustment screw. It wasn't 30 seconds and it started leaking a bunch more air. Is it just a matter of loosening up that big flathead insert. The screw that's inside the insert just turns and doesn't come out, but I'm assuming the bigger insert that surrounds it would if I can find a wide enough screw driver, which I don't think I have. I know the oring blew out because it was in the groove of the screw where I was sticking the screw driver.

Yes. The center part you turned should adjust the air going into the tool. If you run the tool and turn the center part you should hear the tool pick up or slow down. If you remove the larger outer screw there is an oring behind it. You can replace it. The large screw just holds in the trigger mechanism that lets air flow into the motor or not.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Did I do something wrong or do they just randomly blow o rings?
Idk. Ive never had that happen. I would replace it and not worry about it

how much pressure you running on it.

Originally Posted By: dave123
how much pressure you running on it.

110psi not running.

It's a porter cable ptx2 they don't sell a rebuild kit for it anymore, so I guess it's a matter of going to a specialty parts house. Would these be viton? Or just basic nitrile buna rubber?

I'm looking to get this fixed. What kind of rubber do they use typically in air tools?

Here are the part numbers.

5140070-85
5140070-86

Somebody made that tool for Porter-Cable. I don't think Porter-Cable ever made air tools. Whoever made that tool, probably still has it in production with a different brand name.

I don't usually send people off to other sites, but in this case... Do a search in Garage Journal for pictures that look like your air die grinder, or just post there. Chances are it was made by an OEM such as Florida Pneumatic or one of the Taiwan firms. Once you know equivalent branded models, your parts supply possibilities really open up.

I took the air valve assembly apart and it's just one o-ring. Looks like a standard buna oring. I'm not really sure what caused the failure, other than their not being much surface area for it to hold it in place. It's just the end of the threaded portion holding it against that adjustment valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back