Which Lubegard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks,

I have been changing transmission fluid for my 2006 Sentra. I have already changed it using Nissan Matic Type D ATF. I am going to change 3rd and last time in a week. Haven't gotten around going to the dealership to get the ATF. I was advised in the past to use red Lubegard.

Since my transmission (RE4F03B) is not listed in the pdf file on Lubegard's website, I wrote them to make sure. They replied saying I could use either, the red one or gray bottle Platinum variant. I don't know how these two differ. Hence I am back with the question, Which one do I use,
Lubegard Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant #60902 or
Lubegard Platinum Universal #63010

Its not that I don't trust previous recommendations. Their reply just made me think more, hence the questions.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I would ask why you are using either one. Is there a problem you're trying to cure? Or is there something wrong with the Matic Type D?

I'm very happy with LG Red in my Matic-D application. It softened up the harsh 1-2 shift Nissan/Infiniti A/T's are known for.

Use LG Red when using the correct ATF (to enhance the ATFs ability to take heat).
Use LG Platinum to convert an ATF to your application.

I personally will only use LG Red with a correct (or 'suitable for') ATF.....I'm not a believer in converting lesser fluids....

Originally Posted By: pbm
Use LG Red when using the correct ATF (to enhance the ATFs ability to take heat).
Use LG Platinum to convert an ATF to your application.

I personally will only use LG Red with a correct (or 'suitable for') ATF.....I'm not a believer in converting lesser fluids....

+1 Same here.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
I'm very happy with LG Red in my Matic-D application. It softened up the harsh 1-2 shift Nissan/Infiniti A/T's are known for.

This is exactly the reason I am asking.
1-2 shift of my sentra was HARD as if the whole car was shaking. Since I am changing ATF its gone. This 3rd change got a bit delayed and yesterday I felt that shift again. Can't explain how annoyed I was.

I will go with LG Red.

Thanks, folks.

How many miles on the tranny and how often have you changed the fluid in the past?

I would only use LubeGard Red if I suspected valve and or actuator varnishing. I would never use any of the other LubeGard ATF supplement products under any circumstances.

Your transmission may need an overhaul with some new internal components.

I never use Nissan lubricant products for various reasons.

Try a refill with Redline D4 or Amsoil ATF.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
How many miles on the tranny and how often have you changed the fluid in the past?

I would only use LubeGard Red if I suspected valve and or actuator varnishing. I would never use any of the other LubeGard ATF supplement products under any circumstances.

Apologies for the delay in replying. I didn't notice the comment.

I have ~105,000 miles on this transmission. I have never serviced the transmission since I acquired the car in 2010, per-owned. When I changed the ATF for the first time in May, it was still pink/red as the new one. Since the 1->2 shift was hard, which I was royally annoyed of, I decided to change ATF irrespective of its color.

On various Nissan boards, the users claim that Nissan transmissions are very particular about which ATF to use. I was strongly discouraged from using any of the all-in-one type ATFs and suggested to use Matic type D recommended for the vehicle. That is the primary reason I went with Matic-D at $10/qt. I will give a try to red LubeGard and see how it goes. Will update if this shift comes back.

Originally Posted By: MoneyJohn
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Apologies for the delay in replying. I didn't notice the comment.

On various Nissan boards, the users claim that Nissan transmissions are very particular about which ATF to use. I was strongly discouraged from using any of the all-in-one type ATFs and suggested to use Matic type D recommended for the vehicle. That is the primary reason I went with Matic-D at $10/qt. I will give a try to red LubeGard and see how it goes. Will update if this shift comes back.

The people on those boards are highly misinformed.

The NissanMatic D is simply a DexronIII/Mercon knockoff, which is why I suggested Redline D4 or Amsoil ATF.

Last edited:

1-2 shift of my sentra was HARD as if the whole car was shaking. Since I am changing ATF its gone. This 3rd change got a bit delayed and yesterday I felt that shift again. Can't explain how annoyed I was.

I will go with LG Red.

Thanks, folks.

You should be pleased with the result MoneyJohn.

I will go with LG Red.

Thanks, folks.

Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back