Flat tire, fix or replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I pulled into the driveway a contractor was outside with side tool compartments. He was finishing a bathroom remodel. I suspect I hit something he left on the street. I could hear the air rushing out of my rear driver's side tire when I parked in the garage. Did not take long to go flat. I could see something metal sticking out. Put donut spare on and drove to Wal-Mart for repair. It is too far to outside for them to repair. I was told I could fix it with a plug and was shown which kit to buy.

My questions:

1. It is is it is pretty close to inside edge where the thread stops. The object was an odd shape. May need two plugs to fully seal. I have never used to plug, so I am not sure how reliable they are?

2. I transport people at work and need reliable. Do not want to toy with safety. Do you think a plug will be safe? I it too far to the outside edge of tire?

3. If it was your car what would you do? This is OEM Nexen Npriz AH8 tire with about 4,600 miles on it. Dealership does not carry the tire and would take a week or so to get.

I am on a budget. Tore ACL in left knee in July, then had abscessed tooth for 10 days. I am on a roll right now. I would like the safe and cheap option. Thanks!

That looks to be the shoulder of the tire, so most shops won't patch it. Take it to a Discount Tire and ask them, they'll know more about tire safety than I do. Plus, they offer free patching even if you didn't buy tires from them. The shoulder of the tire flexes and bends with every rotation so safety-wise, it's best not to chance it.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
That close to sidewall, replace.

Rule of thumb is to replace any tire with a puncture in the outer set of tread blocks.

I was afraid you were going to say that.

That looks WAY too big to my untrained eye to fix!
I'd be scared to death to drive on that after a repair, especially with my family in the car.

Originally Posted By: ruhroh
That looks to be the shoulder of the tire, so most shops won't patch it. Take it to a Discount Tire and ask them, they'll know more about tire safety than I do. Plus, they offer free patching even if you didn't buy tires from them. The shoulder of the tire flexes and bends with every rotation so safety-wise, it's best not to chance it.

We do not have them locally. It may take a while to get that tire which is the problem. I work Friday two shifts, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. So probably need to get something done tomorrow on my day off.

It may be worth replacing both tires in back and keep good rear tire for a spare. I can get a rim for $6 at Salvage yard. If I have different tires in front and back, will that be a problem? I may be able to get two tires for the price of the Nexen tire I need.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
That looks WAY too big to my untrained eye to fix!
I'd be scared to death to drive on that after a repair, especially with my family in the car.

Agreed. Safety is first priority. Sometimes things happen which is part of life. I will start looking for replacement tires locally.

If the set only has 4600 miles on it, a new tire will be just fine and can be treated just like the others.

I'd get one more of the same. Not really a fan of mismatching tires. Wouldn't be a problem really, but I'd avoid buying a vehicle with mismatched tires most likely.

That is too big a hole to fix, even were it in the middle of the tread.
Don't worry too much about matching the OEM tire model since the aftermarket ones of the same model name that you'll buy won't be the same as the OEM tires anyway.
Find a cheap tire in the correct size and have it mounted.
The OEM Nexens are nothing special other than having been cheap for Hyundai.
Put the mismatched tires on the front and leave a matched set on the rear.
It's likely that you'll be replacing these tires fairly soon anyway, since I doubt that have long tread life in use.

I am driving about 8k per year. So they may be on longer than you think. Hyundai requires 7,500 rotating of tires. If I can get tires locally and get them to rotate for free that will save money.

I checked Amazon and do not use Craig List. I have limited time. I did call Firestone. I like their lifetime alignment. Looking at Firestone Firehawk AS. Tire Rack review seemed OK. About $220 installed with Lifetime rotations. I would like a one stop place and had good service there. It is close to where I live.

The car shouldn't need an alignment this early. When it does the dealer or a front end/alignment shop will be your best option. I had a few bad experiences with Firestone. Even when they messed up and I took it to another Firestone it still wasn't right. Will never go there again.

I'd go to Walmart TLE where you can get a Douglas Performance All Season for $80 installed and out the door.

Originally Posted By: JTK
The new tires are Walmart Douglas all seasons. Yes I know. It's a Walmart brand and it is wallyworld we're talking about. Thing is, I've used these USA made Goodyear off brand tires in the past and love them. Never had an issue with Walmart for tires in the past either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The car shouldn't need an alignment this early. When it does the dealer or a front end/alignment shop will be your best option. I had a few bad experiences with Firestone. Even when they messed up and I took it to another Firestone it still wasn't right. Will never go there again.

I'd go to Walmart TLE where you can get a Douglas Performance All Season for $80 installed and out the door.

Originally Posted By: JTK
The new tires are Walmart Douglas all seasons. Yes I know. It's a Walmart brand and it is wallyworld we're talking about. Thing is, I've used these USA made Goodyear off brand tires in the past and love them. Never had an issue with Walmart for tires in the past either.

Was not expecting an alignment yet. Guess I think long term. Of the places I have used for tires, Wal-Mart seems the least professional and disorganized. The last tire I had to replace due to damage was lost by them. It reminded me of the Keystone Cops or 3-Stooges. It took 15 minutes today for them to address I needed a tire repair. It was not like I was not trying. Most places would get you in the cue for service in a few minutes.

Firestone has been professional and has a nice waiting room. The workers are professional. At Wal-Mart seemed like the there was a lot of loafing and going extra slow. I do not trust them. I like the price of the tires though. Firestone is more pricey. You get what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back