Evolution of Motorcycles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, 1960-1990 has wrong profile. Should be the left out profile of the UJMC (Universal Japanese Motor Cycle) as in transverse mounted four cylinder ...

Gear shifter invented long before 1978. Honda even had an automatic as an option before 1978 ...

The overall concept is good
smile.gif

Last edited:
In 1960 a British journalist wrote an article about the 1960 Triumph Bonneville 650cc motorcycle. It weighed just under 400 pounds and had 40 horsepower. His conclusion was that no one could possibly need a lighter bike with more power. He considered this bike to be the ultimate thrill for anyone brave enough to attempt to ride it to its full potential. This bike was inexpensive enough to be within the reach of any young man with the desire to own it. This young person would probably never run into someone with one of the very rare bikes that were faster and the same could be said for automobiles as well.

Things have changed a bit over the years.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I love motorcycles, but if cars were developed at the the same rate, most would still be stuck in the 50s.

Some worse than that . . . HD is stuck in the late 1930s. On the other hand, if bikes developed like cars, they'd have all wheel drive with power assist added to the anti-lock brakes, traction control, climate control, electrically adjustable saddles, handle bars, mirrors, and foot controls. We'd have air bags and saddle belts.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Sorry, 1960-1990 has wrong profile. Should be the left out profile of the UJMC (Universal Japanese Motor Cycle) as in transverse mounted four cylinder ...

Gear shifter invented long before 1978. Honda even had an automatic as an option before 1978 ...

The overall concept is good
smile.gif

With out the Japanese M/C we would still be driving 40 horsepower Triumph/BSA type motorcycles.

Originally Posted By: HouseTiger
On the other hand, if bikes developed like cars, they'd have all wheel drive with power assist added to the anti-lock brakes, traction control, climate control, electrically adjustable saddles, handle bars, mirrors, and foot controls. We'd have air bags and saddle belts.

I'm glad they haven't developed to that level. Where modern bikes are right now with technology like TC, antilock brakes, engine modes and adjustible suspension is plenty enough for me.

2003 fits motorcycle airbag? How is that a monumental change. Who cares.

How about 1980 Honda CBX goes from points and condensers to solid state ignition. This was a huge change for motorcycles.

I love motorcycles, but if cars were developed at the the same rate, most would still be stuck in the 50s.

I'd settle for 1967...

Originally Posted By: Alex_V

I'd settle for 1967...

Great Post !

Where most motorcycles are behind in technology is the lack of offering an automatic transmission. Most people want to shift their own gears on a bike, but most people wanna buy a vehicle with four wheels that has an automatic. Shifting a bike sucks compared to shifting a manual transmission in a car. I've owned plenty of motorcycles in my lifetime. Honda has a few bikes with a true automatic, Harley and most everyone else doesn't.

Nice post and interesting timeline.

But what about...

Norton
BSA
Brough
KTM
Ducati
Moto Guzzi
Ural

Just to name a few.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

Also forgot the dark days of the AMF ownership of HD.

Lots of folks say that but AMF actually provided the impetus and the funding to develop the Evolution engine that saved Harley Davidson.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
2003 fits motorcycle airbag? How is that a monumental change. Who cares.

How about 1980 Honda CBX goes from points and condensers to solid state ignition. This was a huge change for motorcycles.
The 1969 Kawasaki Mach III had CDI ignition and surface gap plugs.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
In 1960 a British journalist wrote an article about the 1960 Triumph Bonneville 650cc motorcycle. It weighed just under 400 pounds and had 40 horsepower. His conclusion was that no one could possibly need a lighter bike with more power. He considered this bike to be the ultimate thrill for anyone brave enough to attempt to ride it to its full potential. This bike was inexpensive enough to be within the reach of any young man with the desire to own it. This young person would probably never run into someone with one of the very rare bikes that were faster and the same could be said for automobiles as well.

I remember the Suzuki X6 Hustler [250cc 2 stroke] would embarrass a Bonneville in a drag race. I am that old.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
On the other hand, if bikes developed like cars, they'd have all wheel drive with power assist added to the anti-lock brakes, traction control, climate control, electrically adjustable saddles, handle bars, mirrors, and foot controls. We'd have air bags and saddle belts.

I'm glad they haven't developed to that level. Where modern bikes are right now with technology like TC, antilock brakes, engine modes and adjustible suspension is plenty enough for me.

I have a bike with all the latest electronic rider aids. It's fairly fast and fun, but I still prefer my old hot-rodded bike that has no electronic safety nannies at all. It's entirely up to me to not end up on my head.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I have a bike with all the latest electronic rider aids. It's fairly fast and fun, but I still prefer my old hot-rodded bike that has no electronic safety nannies at all. It's entirely up to me to not end up on my head.

Yep, my 2000 Busa vs my 2016 XSR900 is the same way. I did have a semi emergency stopping situation on the XSR a few weeks ago but didn't feel the ABS kick in, so it must have more brakes then I needed at that time. If I ever need to dynamite the brakes 100% I'll probably be glade it has ABS.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

I remember the Suzuki X6 Hustler [250cc 2 stroke] would embarrass a Bonneville in a drag race. I am that old.

I had both bikes back in my school days. The X6 was really quick with a 6-speed, a one trick pony kind of like the 3 cylinder 2-stroke 500 cc, Kawasaki. If you could do a full throttle start with that Kawasaki you were one brave rider. In a quarter mile drag race with a good rider, you could not hear the bike shift gears, it was just one steady shriek. A school mate had a new one and made his payments by racing against cars. The Bonny was a very good Sunday morning bike back then and for its time really fast. The big improvement back then for the Bonny was making the transmission one unit with the engine instead of separate units with a chain. That was a big deal.

Originally Posted By: Ausfahrt
Nice post and interesting timeline.

But what about...

Norton
BSA
Brough
KTM
Ducati
Moto Guzzi
Ural

Just to name a few.
Or the fact Indian went out of business in 1953 or 54.The company that exists today has nothing to do with the original company. Even tho they try to claim some sort of relationship.,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back