Exxon shutdown Beaumont refinery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two days before the storm gas here went up 10 cents a gallon. This morning it went up another 10 cents.
So in a week it went from $2.19 to $2.39 for 87 octane. I'm looking for the $2.79 mark to come...

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Two days before the storm gas here went up 10 cents a gallon. This morning it went up another 10 cents.
So in a week it went from $2.19 to $2.39 for 87 octane. I'm looking for the $2.79 mark to come...

An oil industry spokeswoman said there is plenty of supply in the supply line, and the refineries should be operating in two weeks.

In my view, any high fuel prices will be the result of price gouging.

Last edited:
Typically this is always the case. Sadly of course.
When Katrina hit it went right to $3.70 a gallon the next day here in MD....
Of course my thoughts are with the people of Texas. What a travesty!

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

An oil industry spokeswoman said there is plenty of supply in the supply line, and the refineries should be operating in two weeks.

In my view, any high fuel prices will be the result of price gouging.

Yep. That's why the oil industry has been down for the last 3 years.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Think BMT is Mobil 1 too ...

M1 is produced in Paulsboro, NJ. However the chemicals may be made in Texas???

Originally Posted By: tig1

Yep, most basic chemicals and oils are made in Texas, and not just Mobil products.

How much of the increase is from the normal holiday price spike? Not uncommon to see a nickel or more before major holidays. I tanked up early last week

Last edited:
Not many people are going to be driving in Houston for a few days yet and I'd lay money the tanks at the refinery have a good supply of ready made stock on hand. They start another cycle and they likely had no place to put it. They need to move some product out of the refinery first.

Texas-Louisiana's coast is known for their chemical plants, while a part of NJ is known as the Chemical Corridor - it's not just Mobil, ChevronPhilips and Shell. Bayer, Arkema, BASF and almost all the major chemical companies have some form of operations there.

The news said Motiva in Port Arthur is shutting down - that's mostly a Shell operation and also where SOPUS makes a majority of Pennzoil products.

/edit, Wiki says NJ is home to the Chemical Coast. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_Coast

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nthach

Texas-Louisiana's coast is known for their chemical plants, while a part of NJ is known as the Chemical Corridor - it's not just Mobil, ChevronPhilips and Shell. Bayer, Arkema, BASF and almost all the major chemical companies have some form of operations there.

The news said Motiva in Port Arthur is shutting down - that's mostly a Shell operation and also where SOPUS makes a majority of Pennzoil products.

/edit, Wiki says NJ is home to the Chemical Coast. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_Coast

Paulsboro isn't in that area though. It's pretty much in the opposite end of NJ. Most of those companies have multiple facilities throughout the state.

Originally Posted By: fields
Motiva in Port Arthur is Saudi owned.

That alone would make me switch from Pennzoil to Mobil-1 . . .

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
As I understand it there will be fewer cars out there burning up gasoline because of this storm.

But the boats and big trucks rescuing people use a lot of fuel.

This area will not return to 'normal' for years, just like New Orleans is not 'normal' 10+ years later.

Low fuel prices are over, folks, and fuel shortages will start soon enough.

No-one knows how bad refinery damage is, and I'll bet its way worse than they are speculating.

I bet by the weekend the review of the damage at plants will be done in the Houston area. Rain moved on and forecast for fair weather for a few days.

Our governor came on the radio a little while ago and said to report any price gouging,that it is illegal and he will slap a minimum 25k fine for each infraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back