High Mileage Synthetic Oils in Newer Cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any reason not to use "High Mileage" type full synthetic oils (like Valvoline or M1) in newer cars?

I would think all engines, regardless of the mileage, would benefit from the improved seal conditioning, viscosity stability and cleaning properties.

There is no reason one cannot use HM oils in new engines.

However, the HM oils may not give you the fractional increase in fuel mileage since HM oils may not contain the same level of Friction Modification chemistry found in non-HM oils.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it. I still use 0-20AFE in my 10 year old Fusion. Call Mobil tech and get their advise. 1-800-ASK-Mobil.

Last edited:
Goss is a mechanic, not an oil chemist.

He should use the term, "Seal Conditioning," which does more than just swell seals.

Also realize, HM oils only contain a very small fractional increase in cleaners and seal conditioners, so the oil does not over swell the seals.

Goss did not present any evidence that HM oils damage seals over the long haul.

Last edited:
I am not saying that Goss guy is wrong or right. But...does he have any data or testing to back up what he says? When someone makes a broad statement like that(i.e. use an HM oil and you will have to use it all the time) and no data to back it up... Is there even one test? It kind of reminds me of using oil and stretching the engine out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigj_16
I am not saying that Goss guy is wrong or right. But...does he have any data or testing to back up what he says? When someone makes a broad statement like that(i.e. use an HM oil and you will have to use it all the time) and no data to back it up... Is there even one test? It kind of reminds me of using oil and stretching the engine out.

It's a Goss, "Hypothesis."

M1 HM 10W-30 is a pretty stout oil, for a Run Of The Mill Walmart Jug Oil (ROTMWJO) . Seal conditioning etc., aside, it looks like it would make a good replacement for hard use when a 5 or 10W-30 is spec'ed.

An HM oil is fine anytime.
Most blenders will recommend for 75,000 and above, but no time/space continuum has been interrupted or altered by running HM's at 74,999 or less.
Maxlife is one of the few that actually does what it says it will.

Most HM oils do have a stouter add pack & are usually higher in VIS for their grade. I'm guessing the reason most don't get the GF-5 certification is because they can't pass the fuel economy part because it's a more robust, less thin oil.

Goss reads scripts supplied by sponsors. There's nothing at all wrong with what he says but his audience is not BITOG members.

He's like the doctor that says the operation we are about to perform on you is routine. He smiles and leaves the room.

Then, behind the scenes, there's a doctor that spent 10-15 years in higher education, internship, residency, state board exams, yearly continuing education credits, hospital certification with peer review of his every move, and a support team along with a specialized hospital facility that actually does the "routine operation".

Hi. I can't help but notice Valvoline max life high mileage is gf-5 certified (current) a1/a5 API SN AND resource conserving in 5w-20, 5w-30 and 10w-30. This link I got off their website shows what weights meet what specs. Also meets the current Chrysler 6395

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Public/Do...10-ac162d889bd3

The new Quaker state high mileage is also API SN and GF-5 certified in 5w-20, 5w-30, and 10w-30
http://www.quakerstate.com/en_us/products/motor-oil/quaker-state-defy-high-mileage.html

As I recall QS Defy which recently went off the shelves was SL rated as was the old M1 high mileage. I think oil companies did this to get their products in newer cars which are now high mileage but still meet all new requirements.
One of the above mentioned companies claims you can use their formula to address symptoms of high mileage wear before they begin. Can't find the page anymore. But as they are both SN GF-5 rated I'm sure they are just fine. Just my opinion.
My car asks for API SL. If you have a new car requiring API SN or GF-5 there are a few Hi Mi options that still meet your modern requirements.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Goss is a mechanic, not an oil chemist.

I didn't even watch the video, considering I saw who it was. He's not that good of a mechanic, even.

Seeing 10w-40 versus 5w-20 on his little shelf didn't impress me, either. I'm also sure he doesn't know that there are ILSAC rated high mileage oils, too. Considering that MaxLife is dexos1 where appropriate, I'm sure GM isn't worried, either.

How much time did he spend shilling the collection of additives on the right side of the screen, or was that just there for the setting?
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
How do we really know Goss isn't a quality mechanic?

If he were, he'd be too busy and too well compensated in running a shop to accept a pittance for an advertainment?

It's not going to hurt anything to use it. But, if your vehicle is running well and not burning or leaking oil, I'd stay stick with what has been working. Don't try to "fix" something that isn't broken.

I use Valvoline ML in our Buick because it's the cheapest 5qt synblend on the shelf at the local Walmart. It uses about 1/2 -3/4 qt every 5K and has ever since we got from the dealership. The HM oil hasn't helped it nor hurt it. YMMV.

At a 165K+ on my 03 4Runner, I consider it nicely broken in and not high mileage. It burns a half quart or so in 10K miles I would not consider changing the oil I'm using right now and the oil that I started with new. The 4.7 Toyota V8 is a bullet proof engine if there ever was one. I use a 0w-30 synthetic oil and I don't think the seals need any help. My OCI for the oil is 10K and the filter is 20K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back